• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

dink117

Reaction score
City, State
APO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I've done some searches, but I can't find anything directly for the 2011+ Ex lot. Has anyone removed their prop rod and put in hood struts? I did this on my 2012 Mustang GT and loved the results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I was a bit shocked to find a prop rod on such an expensive car. Also, is the hood plastic????

Yeah, I was a bit shocked to find a prop rod on such an expensive car. Also, is the hood plastic????

I think it it's supposed to be Aluminum. Part of the weight reduction this gen went through.

Well if it is of any consolation to you, my $48k '09 Highlander Ltd also had the hood prop.
As Bryceb, stated, the hood is aluminum.

Peter

I've talked to one manufacturer about hood struts, but haven't seen anything out of them yet.

Redline doesn't make them yet.....just spoke to them and they said they are working on something :) fingers crossed

hood gas struts kit

Hi, anyone canned the prop rod and install some gas struts? Quick Google search turned up nothing for Gen 5.

I don't think Gen 5 was designed for hood struts. Personally rather have to prop it. I had a 02 before my 2011 and changed the hood struts a few times.

I realize they weren't designed for it, but there are lots of kits out there for vehicles which have reinforcing brackets and the such. They look pretty slick, i would would much rather have struts than the rod. Just wondering if anyone has done this.

Try going to www.fordparts.com and checking out 2014 Lincoln MKT, Body, Hood. There are 2 pieces called Hood Lift Support (LH, RH) 16C826 at $39.23 each. I think that may be what you are looking for. I have the struts on my MKT in place of the 'prop bar'. The hood on my Lincoln is also aluminum.

Peter

Attachments

• P6100242_001.JPG
    P6100242_001.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,466
  • P6100243_001.JPG
    P6100243_001.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,488
  • P6100244_001.JPG
    P6100244_001.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,455

Explorer Sport

Was reading this about the Interceptor Utility (or a Sport as we know them)

Hood Assists - Gas cylinder, monotube

Does the Interceptor have no prop rod? And if this is true, can we get those parts?

Peter, in your description above, is that the whole kit, including the mount points, or just the struts???

Thanks,
Thomas

I just saw this post and from what I can tell, it is just the hood strut. You would need the upper and lower ball studs the strut attaches to. I am going to check mine as soon as I get home tonight and see if there is a way to make this work. I would think it could be done, but we might need the measurements for the locations on the Lincoln hood to make sure it is in the same, or close to same, location. I would think it might cause some stress in places we don't want if the mounting holes are not at least close. I will see what I can come up with.

Any fella puts it Front Hood Gas Shocks?

Tried search, couldn't find any.
There must be fella who puts in one of these.

images

Try going to www.fordparts.com and checking out 2014 Lincoln MKT, Body, Hood. There are 2 pieces called Hood Lift Support (LH, RH) 16C826 at $39.23 each. I think that may be what you are looking for. I have the struts on my MKT in place of the 'prop bar'. The hood on my Lincoln is also aluminum.

Peter

The mounting point on the MKT looks to be part of the structure of the strut tower. Also on the Explorer, the tower is tucked farther back - probably why Ford just used the prop rod - no place there for the ball stud.

Hopefully the guys at Redline Tuning will make a kit one of these days.

Depends, does anyone from michigan want free hood struts?

leon16, I merged your thread with this existing one. Also included close ups of mine to go along with previous post.

Peter

Attachments

• P9030288_001.JPG
    P9030288_001.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • P9030289_001.JPG
    P9030289_001.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,176
  • P9030290_001.JPG
    P9030290_001.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,164

Peter, could be a little more specific?
Like make, part #?

Here's the email I received from redline. If anyone is willing to go to them. They can fix us up too.

Hello,
First, thank you for your interest in our hood QuickLIFT products.
Unfortunately, we do not have a system available for your application. For
us, finding the vehicles and getting them into our shop is the difficult
part. If you or anyone you may know lives near us in Dexter, Michigan, we
would be very interested in setting up a development session. Our hood
QuickLIFT system would be free for the volunteer, and their vehicle would be
featured on our website and installation manual.

On average, we need 2 hours to complete the design and installation. There
are times when new parts need to be designed and manufactured - for these
times, we may require a second visit for final fitment. We specialize in
gas spring mounting and installations and currently sell over 200 different
QuickLIFT system applications.

Brian
Redline Tuning

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:20 AM
To: sales@redlinetuning.com
Subject: 2014 Ford Explorer

Do you guys make a kit for a 2014 ford explorer? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone needs to take their Ex in for this fitment, then post pics and part numbers.

My problem is that the prop rod gets so hot I burn my hands on it.

Back