boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
hey all .....

hood supports ....was going through some junk the other day and found these.....

DSCN1395.jpg

DSCN1396.jpg

i did manage to find some info on it(http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230910&highlight=hood+supports) but just wanted to know it the brackets i had were correct .

...would be nice to use them and have a lot more free room while working under the hood you know ....

thanks .

bump......

...rick, i did find your thread when you installed them back in 2000 ,from memory can you tell if these brackets will work for a first gen .

the reason i ask is i got concerns where the relay box is and on the drivers side there's the abs computer bracket to contend with ....just wondering how you did yours .

thanks !

...rick, i did find your thread when you installed them back in 2000 ,from memory can you tell if these brackets will work for a first gen .

the reason i ask is i got concerns where the relay box is and on the drivers side there's the abs computer bracket to contend with ....just wondering how you did yours .

Rick used the same ones I scored many years later, except mine were specifically designed for 2nd gens (all the components were the same as his). I believe he used the kit designed for an earlier generation of the Ranger. I don't believe they've done a set for 1st gens yet.

While that kit of yours looks "similar", I don't think it's necessarily the same kit (the struts do look similar though).

That being said, EF mod "turdle" (Jon) installed mine this summer following the directions on Redline Tuning's site (they included them with the kit). Easy to follow. You may try and tweak those instructions for your install. There was no issue with the components getting in the way of my relay box on my '99.

Thread is here on the struts themselves (there should be links to install directions in there somewhere).

My install (I purchased the upgraded struts in Stainless Steel):

Redline_Strut_2.jpg

thanks celly ...looks good and clean . if i can not make the brackets work for a first gen ( tho the earlier ranger and my year hoods / engine compartment is identicle then it really should not be to bad ....the studs on the brackets are screwed into the metal flange with a square drive nut/bolt ,so maybe if i can not use the entire bracket i can undo the stud and mount that by drilling a hole to mount it .

they should be good even tho they were made in 96' ( came out of my camper (( they were for the lift door under the bed / storage compartment)),so i'm sure since the camper did not see much use then they should be still powerfull enough to lift a light weight hood .

Back