Hopefully not transmission issues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hopefully not transmission issues...

Downhill_Phil

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer EB 4.6
Alright I thought I would post here to see if anybody has has seen similar.

2 things are happening. First is, especially when it is cold, but not always I'll be pulling away from a stop and hear a whining/groaning sound fade up and then out for a second or two and then it's gone. I don't know why I think transfer case for that. The other is when I rapidly come to a stop, like being impatient going though a stop sign and immediately step on it again it feels like something lurches internally. For a while I thought this was my blown motor mount but that has been replaced and I still get this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This groan doesn't seem to correspond to speed. Maybe it does I guess, but it sounds like a constant speed just the volume of it fades in and out over a second or two.

The the first thing I highly recommend, if it hasn't been done in the past 40k miles, is to drop the transmission pan, change the fluid and refill. Do not flush the transmission. The second is drain the transfer case and refill. The third is disconnect the battery for 30-60 minutes to clear the learning data from the control modules. This might resolve your issues. The 6R60/6R80 transmissions don't like old, worn fluids and/or low fluid levels and clearing the stored data can also solve operating issues. The transfer case maintenance is just good practice and is very easy to do. Also, check for any codes that might be tripped.

The the first thing I highly recommend, if it hasn't been done in the past 40k miles, is to drop the transmission pan, change the fluid and refill. Do not flush the transmission. The second is drain the transfer case and refill. The third is disconnect the battery for 30-60 minutes to clear the learning data from the control modules. This might resolve your issues. The 6R60/6R80 transmissions don't like old, worn fluids and/or low fluid levels and clearing the stored data can also solve operating issues. The transfer case maintenance is just good practice and is very easy to do. Also, check for any codes that might be tripped.
Sounds like a good first step to me, I'll give the fluids a try this weekend and clear the data today, hopefully that cures it.

Thanks!

I meant to say "change the filter" not "change the fluid".

Back