(hopefully) simple question

Craigwell

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ST XLT 4.0L 4x4
1996 EB with Auto Climate control.

I bought the rig in February, noticed no A/C. Compressor would not cycle.

I was able to jumper the connector above the accumulator, and the compressor ran fine, but no cold air.

After looking as best I could for leaks / rusted out components etc, I decided to recharge the system to see what happened.

It ran fine, blew cold air - but then I discovered my leak, and hence my question:

What is the line that runs under the accumulator? There seems to be a metal bracket there holding a steel line. The line has rusted within this bracket.

I would like to order the replacement line, but not sure what I'm getting into here. It has been difficult finding schematics, etc to identify everything, and my experience with this stuff is limited.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I think I'm zeroing in on this. Would it be the "liquid line" that I see running underneath the receiver/dryer? Assuming what I am seeing runs between the condenser and evaporator.

Should I replace the orifice tube at the same time?

Thanks, can't believe how hard it is to find pics, part descriptions, etc.

Alright, 0 for 2 so far. Thanks for reading though. Maybe I can get an answer to this question:

How do I tell if my truck has Aux A/C or standard?? Mine does have climate controls for the rear passengers in the back of the centre console. It also has automatic / digital climate control.

I'm looking to replace my liquid line. It has snapped in half at the bracket at the bottom of the accumulator, and I can see the end of the orifice tube(red). Assuming I should replace it at the same time.

Maybe this will help. Can you pin point on this diagram which line it is?

84775743.gif

Thank you for posting that. It definitely seems to be #9. There is a bracket for it attached to the bottom of the accumulator, and that is where the line is rusted through. The end of what I can only assume is the orifice tube is sticking out of it. (red)

I am trying to determine three things:

1) Does my EB with Auto Climate Control have standard or aux A/C
2) Am I able to change this condensor to evaporator liquid line myself (without specialized equipment)
3) Is replacing the orifice tube critical

Thanks Albi, much appreciated.

duplicate.

Are you sure it is the liquid line that has the leak? If I am remembering right, that bracket of which you speak actually attaches to the line that the orifice tube is in which is part of the evaporator core. There is a joint that joins the liquid line to the evap core. Is your leak on the rear bumper side or the front bumper side of that joint? That will tell you which part you need to replace.

To undo those type of joints, you will need these:
http://www.saker-tools.com/products/4pc-A-C-Spring-Locking-Coupling-Tool-Set-593038.html

I don't know about how critical the orifice tube is. Depends on the cleanliness of said part.

BTW, I have your same truck. If by aux A/C you mean a separate a/c system for the rear air, you don't. All it is is a duct from the HVAC box inside the dash to the back of the console.

Thanks for the great response, Geosnooker.

It is broken in the front half of the line. I'll do my best to get the tools and report back what I discover. I hope to get back to work on that file in a couple of weeks.

I had wondered if there might have been different, larger diameter lines or other changes in the A/C components where there is control of some A/C function in the rear. Thanks for shedding some light on that as well.

Thanks for the great response, Geosnooker.

It is broken in the front half of the line.

You are welcome. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of A/C experts scanning this section of the forum, and I am a relative beginner in the A/C repair game.

The quoted sentence is not clear to me. Looking at the diagram above, is your break on part #9, or part #11? If it is in the line that comes out of part #11, ALL THE WAY TO THE JOINT is still part of part #11, that being your evaporator coil. Here is a picture of that part so you can get the idea:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3154wt_1163

The longer line on the left is the area you are talking about. It is the bottom line that holds the orifice. It IS part of the evaporator coil, and hooks up to the "liquid line" that goes forward from there and hooks up to the condenser.

Hope that helps.

My apologies, it would indeed be part #9, it is towards the front of the vehicle where the break is, when looking at the bracket coming off the accumulator. I have not seen the joint you have mentioned as of yet, assuming it is further toward the evaporator from the point of the break.

I'll be able to verify all of this better in a week or so.

Thanks again!

same issue on 96 XLT

I have the same exact issue (96 XLT) with that line as it passes through the bracket under the accumulator. I guess we'll need to determine if its the extension from the evap core or the liquid line that has the leak. Obviously, we're hoping for just a line replacement.

I have the same exact issue (96 XLT) with that line as it passes through the bracket under the accumulator. I guess we'll need to determine if its the extension from the evap core or the liquid line that has the leak. Obviously, we're hoping for just a line replacement.

I can tell you right now, the accumulator bracket attaches to the evap core, NOT the liquid line. The coupling joining the two is FORWARD of the bracket. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to here....

I took a long look, and I see what you mean, looks like the evap core needs to be replaced

Nope, not what I wanted to hear. At least it is cheap. I don't think that it would be a terrible project, all things considered.

Back