Horn Beeps On Exit | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Horn Beeps On Exit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could chirp be in memory

could the chirp be saved in one of the three presets in the door? i.e when one saves the power seat positions on one of the three presets in the door of the sport , the silent setting needs to be set before saving the seat pos. anyone?

could the chirp be saved in one of the three presets in the door? i.e when one saves the power seat positions on one of the three presets in the door of the sport , the silent setting needs to be set before saving the seat pos. anyone?
Welcome to the Forum, eh. :wavey:
I didn't see anything in mine when I set the memory seats, but then I have a 2011. This issue seems to be exclusive to the 2013 model. I believe it is linked to the No Key Detected alarm. As of now, no one has found a solution to disabling it. Until someone does, turning the vehicle off when existing it is the best answer.
Happy motoring, eh. :D

Peter

Good advice ! If I lived in Winnipeg and left the engine running in 45 below weather to go shopping, two chirps would be unwelcome, joy riders and all !

Easiest solution I've found guys is to just not shut the drivers side door all the way. Just leave the ever so slight crack when you close the door. Kind of like when you get in and the door doesn't shut all the way.

Here is a solution to your problem.

Scenario: My wife and I are both in the vehicle and we both have our key fobs with us. I start the vehicle (vehicle senses my fob and adjusts the seat to my settings) and we drive. I park the car somewhere and walk away (car is locked or unlocked - no difference) with the fob in my pocket and the horn does not chirp because the vehicle still senses a fob (wife's) in the vehicle. And yes, you can lock the vehicle with a fob still inside. I have done this numerous times.

With this in mind, you could leave a fob in the vehicle (center console) and your horn would no longer chirp when you leave the proximity of the vehicle. Of course you now have vehicle theft concerns since a functional fob is in the vehicle, but as you stated, you are only walking away from the vehicle for a short period of time.

I just thought I would share what has been my experience. I hope this helps. Works like a charm.

Here is a solution to your problem.

Scenario: My wife and I are both in the vehicle and we both have our key fobs with us. I start the vehicle (vehicle senses my fob and adjusts the seat to my settings) and we drive. I park the car somewhere and walk away (car is locked or unlocked - no difference) with the fob in my pocket and the horn does not chirp because the vehicle still senses a fob (wife's) in the vehicle. And yes, you can lock the vehicle with a fob still inside. I have done this numerous times.

With this in mind, you could leave a fob in the vehicle (center console) and your horn would no longer chirp when you leave the proximity of the vehicle. Of course you now have vehicle theft concerns since a functional fob is in the vehicle, but as you stated, you are only walking away from the vehicle for a short period of time.

I just thought I would share what has been my experience. I hope this helps. Works like a charm.
Any IA key locked inside the vehicle will be disabled after 20 seconds when the perimeter alarm is activated. It then cannot be used to start the vehicle until it is once again enabled by pressing the 'Unlock' button on the fob.

Peter

Ford Edge Horn Chirps

Hi Crystal,

Same issue with my Dad's 2013 Ford Edge. I called customer service and they were not aware of the problem. Have you found anything out yet. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to stop this feature, if that's what they are calling it. It is very annoying though!!!:thumbdwn:

Hi Crystal,

Same issue with my Dad's 2013 Ford Edge. I called customer service and they were not aware of the problem. Have you found anything out yet. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to stop this feature, if that's what they are calling it. It is very annoying though!!!:thumbdwn:
Welcome to the Forum jford.:wavey:
I guess it depends how each party interprets the word 'problem'. Since Ford designed it to work this way, they likely don't view it as a problem. As a user, the 'chirp' could be considered a problem but more likely a great annoyance.
I wouldn't expect a quick resolution.

Peter

Any updates from anyone/Ford on this? Besides leaving keys inside or leaving the door partially open, can we disable it or have it changed to real "chirps" versus loud honks? My 2007 Murano does this too but uses very subtle chirps that you probably couldn't hear more than 15 ft away from the vehicle.

Any updates from anyone/Ford on this? Besides leaving keys inside or leaving the door partially open, can we disable it or have it changed to real "chirps" versus loud honks? My 2007 Murano does this too but uses very subtle chirps that you probably couldn't hear more than 15 ft away from the vehicle.
There is no way to disable it that has been explained to us. I believe Ford considers it a 'safety' issue. If that is the case, I don't know why it isn't on the 2011 and 2012 models. My previous Highlander sounded a very subtle 'tone' under the same circumstances. Hopefully they will address this issue with the 2014 model but I wouldn't bet on it.

Peter

Hi RafCon,

As Peter states, this is considered a safety feature and cannot be disabled or modified.

There is no way to disable it that has been explained to us. I believe Ford considers it a 'safety' issue...

That's correct, Peter. Thanks for helping out RafCon!

Crystal

I've got a 2014 Explorer Sport and have the same horn chirp annoyance. Exactly how does this relate to safety? Also, the dealer told me they did not thing it could be disabled...why do they know that, because I'm probably the 100th person who has asked. There is no safety in a horn chirp, the safety is not allowing the truck to be driven without the key. This is a governmental recommendation, and a poor one at best, that Ford followed.

I've got a 2014 Explorer Sport and have the same horn chirp annoyance. Exactly how does this relate to safety? Also, the dealer told me they did not thing it could be disabled...why do they know that, because I'm probably the 100th person who has asked. There is no safety in a horn chirp, the safety is not allowing the truck to be driven without the key. This is a governmental recommendation, and a poor one at best, that Ford followed.

Agreed... If it has to do this, at least use a piezo-electric or something INSTEAD of the horn... One would think that on an almost $50k vehicle they could do something a little better than chirp the horn?

It is extremely annoying and has scared the $hit out of me more than once--especially while walking in front of the car!!! I could probably file suit against someone for hearing loss!

Really

I have the same stupid chirp/horn when engine is running and I get out and close the door while the key fob is in my pocket. I hate it the most when I'm cleaning my car while the engine is running and when I go out of the car for a second to do or get something and it horns at me every time... making me the center of "distraction".

You have to think about this from another point of view. I'm sure engineers at Ford didn't sit around and think, "You know, this would be a great way to annoy people." There must be a reason for it.

My guess is Ford got numerous complaints from people that walked away from their vehicles without realizing they were still running. I know, it seems unlikely - but engines are much quieter these days, and with many people the Explorer might be their first car with push-button start.

Who knows, maybe Ford even got complaints that kids were left in running cars by adults who stupidly claimed they didn't realize the car was running. It might be that the lawyers got together and decided it was worth annoying people with some horn chirps to be able to better defend against the idiots.

For some reason it reminds me of something I heard a comedian say: "I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out." :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to think about this from another point of view. I'm sure engineers at Ford didn't sit around and think, "You know, this would be a great way to annoy people." There must be a reason for it.

My guess is Ford got numerous complaints from people that walked away from their vehicles without realizing they were still running. I know, it seems unlikely - but engines are much quieter these days, and with many people the Explorer might be their first car with push-button start.

Who knows, maybe Ford even got complaints that kids were left in running cars by adults who stupidly claimed they didn't realize the car was running. It might be that the lawyers got together and decided it was worth annoying people with some horn chirps to be able to better defend against the idiots.

For some reason it reminds me of something I heard a comedian say: "I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out." :D
Se post 1 in this thread. It has happened with the Explorer as well as a member reported some time ago. Thought he turned it off but had not.

Peter

Back