• Register Today It's free!

horn/ door lock problems

mbarner

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 sport
Looked all over the forum but couldn't find this specific problem. Few weeks ago i wake up and my horn was beeping intermittently and the door locks were cycling. Quick fix in my underwear was to pull the big fuse for horn relay and a/c clutch solenoid so the horn would shut up. Door locks still cycled. Though it was related to door ajar light because i needed a new back window. Replaced window last night and decided to put fuse back in. No worries until thiz morning when i started up...left the truck for a second...horn blips and i'm locked out. About 5 minutes later old bess decides she loves me again...blips the horn and unlocks the door. On the way to work in a 10 minute drive the horn would blip and the locks would unlock/lock. Fuse out again....no a/c in Florida. Do i have 2 problems or 1 problem here?

Looked all over the forum but couldn't find this specific problem. Few weeks ago i wake up and my horn was beeping intermittently and the door locks were cycling. Quick fix in my underwear was to pull the big fuse for horn relay and a/c clutch solenoid so the horn would shut up. Door locks still cycled. Though it was related to door ajar light because i needed a new back window. Replaced window last night and decided to put fuse back in. No worries until thiz morning when i started up...left the truck for a second...horn blips and i'm locked out. About 5 minutes later old bess decides she loves me again...blips the horn and unlocks the door. On the way to work in a 10 minute drive the horn would blip and the locks would unlock/lock. Fuse out again....no a/c in Florida. Do i have 2 problems or 1 problem here?

Find and unplug your RAP module - it's the thing that the key fob talks to when you lock and unlock. Since it's doing both by itself, might be a problem with the module itself. In my 97 EB, it's in the drivers side rear at the front of the compartment where the jack is - however, I have read on here that they might be in different places in the Sports.

Ok....finally grew the nuts to remove the passenger airbag to get at the module. See what happens from here. Thanks for the tip.

Pulling the RAP module completely fixed my problem by the way. Thanks for the advice. In '02 sports it is located behind the passenger side airbag and can be done in 10 minutes....and its not as scary as it sounds.

Back