• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Horrible CB problems

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Ok Here Gos....problem 1: I have a scanner mounted under the dash going to its standard wire antenea, i get interference from the engine (according to an "expert") on most channels and when the power is off from the car it is clear reception. Possible solutiion: get a real anntanea and put it on the roof (???) Problem 2: (Bigger one) My CB wont transmit because of apparent interference from the radio when it is turned on, it receives ok but wont transmit anything but squieeling when the radio is on, and sometimes even when it is not. I have a midland POS and a Cobra POS dinky antanea. Possible solution: New anntanea on the roof that has more 'power'.........i was offered a deluxe installation of both atanneas on the rear to solve these problems for 250$ including new antaneas parts and labor i think, not a bad deal really. I did the work myself so far and would like to continue to, any ideas I really wish I could communicate on the trail.....ps sorry I cant spell antenaie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
antennae (antennas)

Peter,

Wow, Can I install antennas for you?? $250 sounds at least $200 too high to me. There are a few things you can do to quiet the scanner. A good one is to run the power supply, both + and - right to the battery, same for your CB. Be sure to put a fuse of about 15A near the battery, even though there are already fuses near the radios, Doesn't hurt to fuse both the + and - wires at the battery. You should be able to use the same wires (use at least #12 ga) for both radios. You should also twist the + and - wires around each other about 3 to 4 turns per foot as they run through the engine compartment. This helps reduce the pick up of ignition noise.

Second, you are correct, it would help to get the antenna(s) away from the hood area, vehicle static wise, the roof center is the quietest place for them. But... not always the best for antenna survival while off-roading. If you run in wooded areas with low overhanging branches, the roof might not work too well. These things all have to be considered.

The squeal you talk about, might be the result of feed back where the scanner is recieving your cb transmit signal, because the the antennas are too close to each other. They should be separated by about 5' or more, if possible. Midland radios are OK, as are Cobra antennas. Maybe not the top end, but if they are in good condition, they should work OK.

Another thing that might help your ignition noise is to be absolutely sure your Ex's hood is grounded. Ford has a clip on grounding strap that runs from the back corner of the hood, near the hinge, to the firewall (my '93 has it on the passenger side). Corrosion sometimes gets under the clip and the hood loses electrical connection to the chassis. The whole purpose of this ground strap is to reduce ignition static escaping from under the hood by keeping the hood well grounded. I replaced the clips with wire ring terminals and stainless steel screws into the hood and firewall to make sure they had a good ELECTRICAL connection, not just a mechanical connection.

Some things to try before you go out and spend the big bucks;) Hope it helps, and lket us know how it goes!

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Ray, youve helped me in the past in this section and i appreciate the thoughtful response...im gonna give it a shot, totally redo my whole set up...however, 3 questions...what do you do to get the wires hidden throughout the cab? What antanea can you recomend for the Uniden Bearcat 350 scanner...and finally I was told by the guy at the shop what they were gonna do is attack anntane brackets just insde the tailgate on the sides of the truck (kinda where the fill site for the rear windshield cleaner is I think) what do you recomend for going about this, i can picture myself drilling through the metal and then simply bolting in the brackets but im not sure and i dont like drilling cause its permanent! have you done any of this...if all else fails I would just like to run the antenaes to the roof throug the cab and i wonder how you have done thise with yours...Thanks! And yes you can install my antenaes if yo uwanna come to Virginia haha

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Jeep Cherokee
I got interferance w/my CB, returned my $40 antenna to radio shack and said screw it! Too much work to cut down the interfearance from the fuel pump, and my sub amp was also putting out interefearance. It was just too much trouble to try and fix it. Hope you have better luck and more paitience!

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
my patience is wavering after the episode i spent on figurin out my front turn signals!...but thanks!...i let you know how it goes as soon as i have a day off from work and it stops raining (no garage :( )

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Jeep Cherokee
Just keep your paitience!

Not to change the subject but what piece of the bumper are you talking about?
and removed that annoying piece underneat the bumper (not a fun removal...)

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
oh haha yeh...i was waiting for someone to ask about that...on the Navajos Ford , for some reason, decided to put the turn signals about 5 inches below the bumper instead of directly beneath the lights...so i took off that piece but most of the bolts were completely seized and it took a sledge hammer and liquid wrench to get it off!...then I am still struggling with what to do with new turn signals...

njsjfonline

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
garfield,nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES

It would help us help you if you had pictures. So we all could see where your antennas are right now, how you have your CB/scanner at. and what you have bet up with a hammer.
Sam

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Antenna Mounts

Peter,

You asked multiple questions, so here goes.

1. Hiding Wires: Well, I try to be creative, and tuck them behind the door and window trim. Also, If you need to run back to front, etc, there's a "wire chase" under the door sill trim on the passengers side that Ford uses to run wiring harnesses to the rear, but there's room for antenna cables etc, inside there. I bring the power wires in through the firewall, using an existing grommet that is in the passengers foot well, up high and to the right. Just pull the carpet back a bit and you'll see another factory wiring harness. I just stuffed my wires thru the same grommet.

2. There a re a few scanner type antennas available. RS used to carry a couple, and may still. Hustler has several styles, Check www.new-tronics.com.

3. Antenna Mounts. Yes, there are several clamp on mounts available that would fit in your hatch area. but If I remember correctly, your truck is a '93 (as is mine) :) have you check the blue book value lately? The point being: carefully drilling holes and mounting antennas on the roof isn't going to significantly effect the resale value, and it's a much more sano way to go, you can hide the coax behind the headliner and come down the "A" or "B" posts, (easier on the pass. side) and under the carpet to the radios.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
...ill probably get to this sometime next week if it stops raining, but as soon as i do ill let you know how it goes...thanks for the valuable info

Stompah

HAWAIIAN NITEMARE
Reaction score
City, State
Hilo, Hawaii but reside in Ridgecrest, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4WD
Can I throw my 2 abes in???

Rick is right. GROUNDING!!!

If you ground all your radios, scanners or whatever transceivers you have plus doors, hood, fenders and rear hatch to electrical ground (even the body to frame) that'll cut alot of your problems down BIGTIME!!!

I had the same problem too with my GrantXL. After grounding the living bejeezus out of the truck, everything sounds crystal clear. And no more static shock to my lip when I talk into the mic too.

How 'bout them cookies, huh?

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
wow...it took me a month to get to it but today I went after my cb problems.......today I got a window mount antanea from radio shack for my scanner basically the upgrade the one that came with it which was the wire kind with the suction cups...so thats cleared up and working fine and I can use my sunroof now because it dosnt have an anntenae on it!.....i got along whip anntenae from radioshack and plan on mounting it on the rear bumper, i tried it on the roof rack but it was just too big even if i tied it down some...so im going to mount it back there tomorrow and we will see what happens from there...i plan on drilling through te bumper slipping in a shim to keep it strait up and down, but for now thats what i have....also I am looking into a noise filter and i checked the hood ground and thats fine...we wil see how it goes tomorrow, but at least i am upgrading the anntenaes which was a giveen anyways

Stompah

HAWAIIAN NITEMARE
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4WD
Hey Peter.

Instead of mounting the antenna on the bumper, why not email "Lowdpypes" and order an antenna bracket from him or fabricate one yourself? I kinda oppose bumper mounting because of too much relection from the body (but the Lowdpype bracket mounts to the rear window frame which in turn has reflection too). The higher the antenna on the vehicle the better. Some people may disagree with me but that's my opinion. Here's the url to the thread Lowd is at...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=71704

Just my twin Lincolns...

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I agree that the higher the better...but i know some dudes that have bumper mounted cbs on their jeeps and it works fine...also the whip I have is like 5 feet, its huge and stilll comes up past the roof when its mounted on the bumper...i think...im gonna get this together today and then see what happens and get a picture up here.......thanks

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
ok im done with the new anntenaes...now there is no reason for anything not to work BECAUSE of the anntenaes of their placement (i dont think).....i have a window anntenae for the scanner and that all is working fine...the cb anntenae has been attached with a lot of hard work to the rear bumper on the right side (see pictures) the line runs through the cab and then down the hatch and underneath the bumper to connect...unfortunately it is two 10ft cables connected with a coupler and i dont know if that will cause interference...otherwise it should work, you can see where i have the cb and scanner installed...i havent really been able to test it yet but i am willing to bet that the cb is still "squeeling" and not transmitting. It recieves and always has but i still think it is squeeling. so that is the problem i have to work on from here.

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
ok I dont know how to get in pictures...:mad:

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
ok i just found out that I cant because im not an elite explorer and i dont have another website to put/get pictures on.......ok well if anyone wants to help I can email you a couple pictures...thanks!

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Ok, well if anyone is still reading this I still have a ton of problems, now does anyone know of any CB stores in the NCVADCMDPA area that I can take it too...i have no more patience to deal with this stupid thing that I have spent too much money on to abbandon. I hooked it up to an swr meter today and it was RED on every channel and i dont know enough about this to fix it, but i do know that it doesnt transmit and i am truly at a loss and have lost all hope. :( :( :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Stompah

HAWAIIAN NITEMARE
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4WD
Might want to check your microphone. Maybe one of the wires is making the wrong connection. I usually check that and reccomend to others to check the microphone first before taking it to a teck.

I'll try looking for info on CB shops on your end during the meantime...