• Register Today It's free!

horrible floating gas needle!

brian62584

Reaction score
City, State
mechanicsville,md
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt 4.0 4wd
I loaded my truck with luggage driving to new York and got 301 miles till my gas light came on. When I filled it ,it was only inbetween full and 3/4 .does that sound right ? Now I'm down to a quarter tank from almost full few gallons shy and ive driven 269 miles . Truck is empty on this trip back. On the way up it stayed at a quarter tank for awhile and when it hit 300 it dropped to e and gas light came on. Has a brand new fuel pump.never had this problem around home

Put some fuel system cleaner in it. If that doesn't fix it, then just set the trip every time you fill up. Not hard to do, and honestly it's a good practice so you can check gas mileage.
If you replaced the fuel pump recently, someone probably messed up the sending unit.

like may vehicles, i believe the fuel level sender is part of the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank. there really isn't much you can do to fix it other than replacing the whole assembly. until you're ready to do that you can count miles, but i'd carry a small gas can and funnel just for piece of mind if i were you.

I ran a bottle of Amsoil Performance Improver (fuel system cleaner and additive) and it fixed mine. it used to get to a 1/4 tank and drop off to E. Theres a resistor on the sender that gets coroded and fuel system cleaner remedies that.

Back