Horrible MPG w/ K&N intake and Magnaflow Exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Horrible MPG w/ K&N intake and Magnaflow Exhaust

chaneya

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
I'm getting somewhere around 17 best case scenario on the highway with my 2013 LTD AWD6 w a K&N and Magnaflow installed. At first I thought I was just too heavy on my foot because I love the sound, but now I'm going to extremes to keep my speed steady at around 60MPH on the highway. Whats worse, towing a 4300lb boat/trailer over 150 highway miles, I got around 10.5.

So I'm about to go in for the first 5000 mile oil change/maintenance, and now I'm concerned that I may have voided some of the warranty by adding the intake and exhaust. Otherwise, I would mention it to the dealer and hope for a resolve.

Who knows whether or not this affects warranty? I would've thought the upgrades would have increased MPG's, not decrease them (it WAS getting better gas mileage before the upgrades).

I love the Ex, but it seems to me that an F-150 or Expedition would get same or better fuel econ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting somewhere around 17 best case scenario on the highway with my 2013 LTD AWD6 w a K&N and Magnaflow installed. At first I thought I was just too heavy on my foot because I love the sound, but now I'm going to extremes to keep my speed steady at around 60MPH on the highway. Whats worse, towing a 4300lb boat/trailer over 150 highway miles, I got around 10.5.

So I'm about to go in for the first 5000 mile oil change/maintenance, and now I'm concerned that I may have voided some of the warranty by adding the intake and exhaust. Otherwise, I would mention it to the dealer and hope for a resolve.

Who knows whether or not this affects warranty? I would've thought the upgrades would have increased MPG's, not decrease them (it WAS getting better gas mileage before the upgrades).

I love the Ex, but it seems to me that an F-150 or Expedition would get same or better fuel econ.
I'm by no means an expert on these things but I would think that the vehicle is tuned to operate at peak efficiency with the specs of the Ford OEM parts. The addition of certain other accessories may require some re-tuning.
As for the warranty, I don't know if it would be affected. Perhaps Cory can help with that.

Peter

Yes, that can possibly void the warranty, but only for the areas affected by the parts. Adding an intake and exhaust may also necessitate re-calibrating your a/f ratio. When I did the intake and exhaust on my Mach 1 I had to get the computer re-flashed to get the a/f ratio back to normal. It had gone dead rich because the changes to the airflow were greater than the stock tune could handle.

Also a 4300 lb boat is pretty decent size for the explorer. And 10.5 should be about right.

Boats add alot of drag and air disturbance.
Gross vehicle weight, is the weight of the trailer, motor, hull, fuel @ 7lb per gallon, extra hardware ( tee top, bow rails, seats, benches or any and all that was ot part of the dry weight hull) one this is added up add another 3,4,500 lbs of extra gear, including extra pumps, electronics fishing gear, safty equipement and of course adult beverages etc.

Now if you, your wife and two other adult friends are inside, add another 6-800 lbs to GVW
This isn't a lesson of GVW, rather I have found most people under estimate their GVW by 10-25%

In case Ford turns their back on you, take a look at MPT website. http://www.morepowertuning.com/2012explorer The sound is what it's all about. Anyone can get good gas mileage if they leave the air off and drive at 45 miles per hour. 17/22 is the advertised mileage.

Just put the original intake back on before your visit!

You do realize that the last 2 posts were responding to a thread almost a year old. ;)

Peter

So?

You do realize that the last 2 posts were responding to a thread almost a year old. ;)

Peter

Some of us were not here a year ago. Is there a rule against replying to older posts? I need to know.

George :salute:

Nope. Post away dudes.

Some of us were not here a year ago. Is there a rule against replying to older posts? I need to know.

No there isn't George. It is just that there have been a few times when someone has inadvertently posted on an old thread, thinking it was current and the info wasn't really relevant any more. No problem at all. It may have been a coincidence that I inquired on a recent thread why some owners were doing these mods and the post that revived this thread said it was for 'the sound'. If have no problem with that at all. Just being curious.:thumbsup:

Peter

No there isn't George. It is just that there have been a few times when someone has inadvertently posted on an old thread, thinking it was current and the info wasn't really relevant any more. No problem at all. It may have been a coincidence that I inquired on a recent thread why some owners were doing these mods and the post that revived this thread said it was for 'the sound'. If have no problem with that at all. Just being curious.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter,

That's exactly the case with me, we just purchased the X in April so I was surfing around and didn't even notice the post date until you pointed it out. It doesn't exactly jump out. I will say that Serious-X has already helped with one very annoying issue of the smell in the vehicle when we accelerate "smartly". TSB 12.12.4 was applied (sloppily) and it seems to have helped a lot.

Thanks again,

Back