hose came off | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hose came off

Bill ru saying that the hose might be the problem? I think I know what hose ur talking about. But like I said I felt most of the hoses and they are all dry. The only thing thats wet is underneath the car on the undercarriage. But I don't k ow where its coming from. I doubt that its any hose bc all the hoses seem to be dry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think its the thermostat bc it leaked out a gallon. I havent ever heard of a thermostat leaking that much coolant before.
Repeat, lower thermostat HOUSING. Regardless, at this point you seem to be chasing your tail. Rent a fully refundable coolant system pressure test kit available at most larger auto parts chain stores. They can usually detect and pinpoint leaks instantly. Call around for availability and good luck.

Bill ru saying that u think it might be that hose that u were describing?

I was just told from some guy at o reillys that its most likely the upper intake manifold. I just spoke with him over the phone he didnt look at it or anything but he said that the explorers are notorious for that upper intake going to hell

I was just told from some guy at o reillys that its most likely the upper intake manifold. I just spoke with him over the phone he didnt look at it or anything but he said that the explorers are notorious for that upper intake going to hell

He meant lower intake manifold. There's nothing but air in the upper intake manifold.

And yes, there's a water passage running though the lower intake manifold near where you're pointing.

I'm referring to the 5.0...not sure which engine your truck has. If it's now out of coolant, the hose won't have anything coming out of it

Bill

Repeat, lower thermostat HOUSING. Regardless, at this point you seem to be chasing your tail. Rent a fully refundable coolant system pressure test kit available at most larger auto parts chain stores. They can usually detect and pinpoint leaks instantly. Call around for availability and good luck.

Do what this guy says. Autozone rents the tester for $75. You get a full refund when you return it. That'll pinpoint your problem in no time. Good luck.

If you are going through that much coolant and it isn't raining down under the truck, then it is going out the exhaust. That would also explain the steam coming out of the EGR line. Sounds like a head gasket or worse.

Rent the pressure tester. That will show up an external leak quickly if there is one. Next would be a leakdown test to look for bubbles in the coolant. If it's internal, it's tear-down time.

I just drove it and it got hot and it was steamjng underneath the hood and then it cooled down to normal. What does that mean? Also I think ur right its probably the lower intake gasket. I looked when it was badly horribly smoking to see exactly where it was smoking from and its smoking behind the motor between the firewall and the engine itself. Its way down low underneath though. What does that mean? Its coming from down low between the firewall and engine block. It doesnt really leak antifreeze unless like u said its going out the exhaust pipe. I get paid next week so ill probably go to autozone and get that pressure tester thing. Ohh also when I turn the heat on full blast it only puts out cold air? I heard that means its the heater core but the valve for the heater core is fine and the hoses connecting to it are fine too. Unless its a hose inside the dash? But im leaning towards the lower intake since that seems to be where its smoking from. Where ru guys leaning towards? Im 85% sure its the lower intake. What do u think?

Its weird bc sometimes I leak coolant underneath the truck but sometimes I dont leak a drop. Its like the coolant is just sitting there not going anywhere. Even when its overheated. Like today it overheated but no leakage. I was also told that if it was the heater core that sometimes that it would leak on the inside passenger side underneath the glove box?

Which 4.0? The OHV or the SOHC?

I don't think it is the heater core. You would have coolant all over inside. You can smell those long before you see the leaks.

From your description of the steam, it does sound very possible that it is the lower intake gaskets. That would be good, because it is a much cheaper and easier fix. I hope that's it.

Some of the gauge and heater issues may just be due to the coolant level being low.

Thanks. I will post once I get the pressure tester kit thing. I have a feeling ur right tho. Its the lower intake. This mechanic guy said its both though the upper and lower?

Back