Hot / Cold blend issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hot / Cold blend issue

Dino615

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
My wife's 2014 Explorer limited stopped blowing cold last spring and would only blow heat when the air was on. I changed the blend door actuator but now it will only blow cold and will not blow any heat. Was I supposed to reset it in any way when I put the new actuator in? Is there a way to tell if it's working, or even trying? Are there any other things that could be causing this issue?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not aware of a "reset" requirement.

Peter

Could you have installed the actuator with the gearing in the wrong position to where it's stuck in the cold position and can't move to the hot position? Just curious not even sure if that's possible.

Could you have installed the actuator with the gearing in the wrong position to where it's stuck in the cold position and can't move to the hot position? Just curious not even sure if that's possible.

I don't see how that is possible. I pulled the old one out and the new one slid right in to the same position. I never started the car or even put it into accessory where the blend door could have moved.

Blend door actuator fuse?

Ok, so my wife's 14 explorer stopped blending in the spring. I changed the blend door, but that didn't fix it. Right now it only blows hot, there is no cold. Is there a fuse for the blend door actuator? I have looked at the fuse diagram but it doesn't list blend door or actuator so I didn't know if it was called by a different term or name.

Thank you.

There is no fuse for that. There are also several 'blend door' actuators. Where is the air coming from? Is it from all vents, driver, passenger, floor, dash? Is the defrost working as it should?

Peter

There is no fuse for that. There are also several 'blend door' actuators. Where is the air coming from? Is it from all vents, driver, passenger, floor, dash? Is the defrost working as it should?

Peter
Hmmm, I didn't know that. The driver's side works fine. The passenger side only blows heat no matter where it blows out. Defrost on the driver side works but blows out hot on the passenger side regardless.

Hmmm, I didn't know that. The driver's side works fine. The passenger side only blows heat no matter where it blows out. Defrost on the driver side works but blows out hot on the passenger side regardless.

C2092 is the actuator you need to replace.. there are 4 so my guess is you replaced the wrong one.

The link doesn't work

Link works for me.

2011_explorer_componentviews_11.png

C2092 is the actuator you need to replace.. there are 4 so my guess is you replaced the wrong one.

Where is that one located? I did the one on the passenger side basically against the center hump where you remove most the dash.

I replaced this one. It's the YH-1779 motor.
71pU9zQeqrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The bottom right shows the arrow for the front of the vehicle. It looks like middle to left on drivers side at the top.

If you changed the one on the passenger side, you either replaced the drivers side blend door or the defrost/floor mode blend door on the top right.

This is the one I replaced. I need to get this fixed before my wife gets even more frustrated with me than she already is.
upload_2019-11-13_14-17-33.png

Sorry to renew this post, my post got merged with this one according to what I saw. Anyway... I just purchased a new blend air module behind the glove compartment hoping that would fix the problem - but it did not :( When I remove the module (but leave it plugged - I can see the gears turning (on the old one as well as the new one).

Ford-BlendAirController.png

At this point I turned the passenger side to LO and still raging hot air coming out. Even though the gear had to be turning once in place. So - what is the next problem I need to fix?? It looks like there is another one to the left of the one I have highlighted - is that my next plan of attack?

Thanks in advance! Andy

Sorry to renew this post, my post got merged with this one according to what I saw. Anyway... I just purchased a new blend air module behind the glove compartment hoping that would fix the problem - but it did not :( When I remove the module (but leave it plugged - I can see the gears turning (on the old one as well as the new one).

View attachment 430204

At this point I turned the passenger side to LO and still raging hot air coming out. Even though the gear had to be turning once in place. So - what is the next problem I need to fix?? It looks like there is another one to the left of the one I have highlighted - is that my next plan of attack?

Thanks in advance! Andy

I've been trying to get to the one on the side for about an hour. That thing is impossible to get at. I can't get to the screw in the back and even if I did - I'm not sure how the heck I would be able to get at the wiring :( I feel like I need to cut out that plastic box that is in the way, but I hate do do something that will cause me more problems in the end.

Hi Andy,
The actuator that is right behind the glovebox controls the fresh/recirc air intake only.

The one to the left of it, and perpendicular to it, controls the hot/cold blend for passenger side.

As you have found out, there's two screws holding them in. As I recall, they are 8mm, may even 7mm. The one that's tough to get to, toward the engine bay is easiest dealt with with a tiny wrench.

It's a pig of a job though.

S

Hi Andy,
The actuator that is right behind the glovebox controls the fresh/recirc air intake only.

The one to the left of it, and perpendicular to it, controls the hot/cold blend for passenger side.

As you have found out, there's two screws holding them in. As I recall, they are 8mm, may even 7mm. The one that's tough to get to, toward the engine bay is easiest dealt with with a tiny wrench.

It's a pig of a job though.

S

Yeah - I finally just cut through the plastic holding the wires, got the thing installed with just 1 screw (tight) and it is all working. My glove box broke on the right side, so I'm going to have to replace that now. But I can also just keep it closed. At least I have AC/heat on both sides now!!! I can only imagine the cost if I had Ford do that.

Anyway - thanks for this fantastic forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back