HOT Exhaust, Very Hot

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
My shop special muffler blew a hole, soon after towing boat, so I decided to go with a DynoMax kit this time. Took it for a short drive around the block and everything seems great. Then I let it idle while I went to listen behind the truck. I felt the exhaust and it felt hot at the rear of the vehicle, like burn you hand hot. Then I felt the actual pipe, and it was HOT. This morning I drove to work and touched the pipe for curiosity, and it was HOT. I seem to remember being able to hold onto our V8 LTD exhaust at rear.

Should the pipe be this HOT at the rear of the vehicle? I'm wonder if I did not burn a hole in the muffler while towing. I didn't find anything in the muffler suggesting bad cats, although it wouldn't hurt to replace them with over 200K on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know if it helps any, but the exhaust on my '94 gets hot like that, too. So far I don't think there's anything wrong neccessarily, but I was concerned about it as well.

Yes, the pipe at the back can and does get hot enough to burn. That's normal. Unfortunately my daughter learned that the hard way when she was about 4. She grabbed the tailpipe on our neighbor's running vehicle and burned her hand. Thankfully it was only a mild burn....

Fore some reason i find this very funny, i touched my exhuast and it was hot...obviously its hot. Its perfectly normal.

spray paint " im hot" on it.....

:bsnicker: Lol exhaust is hot, good to know
hahahahah jk

AH, what can I say...... I didn't have a sign

I was surprised it was that HOT. Like I say, I believe exhausts on my past vehicles were just warm at the rear of the vehicle. YES, I would expect the pipe to be HOT at the cat, but not 10' back.

If the exhaust pipe could talk, he would explain "this is why I'm hot"

I think this definately qualifies as a "Useful Thread" :D :D ;)

Do an emergency stop from 60mph and see if the rotor is hot. I've always wondered about that...

Do an emergency stop from 60mph and see if the rotor is hot. I've always wondered about that...
Done that too :) , not quite.....

You know when you smell brakes as your driving down the road and your convinced it's not you until you continue to smell it a couple of miles down the road... So how do you check? Feel the wheels to see if they're warm, and that is the brake that is rubbing.

Trust me, if the wheel is warm, the rotor is HOT. Not that I got burnt, I'm not that dumb, just a quick light touch.

I did it when I was litte. Got taught a quick physics lesson. :)

Here's your sign . . . An aftermarket exhaust will probably flow the exhaust gasses a little more efficently. This might result in the exhaust system as a whole being hotter than stock.

Another lesson:

You have 2 pipes.
Both are 1 5/8" in diameter.
Same Thickness of Steel.
One is Stainless Steel.
One in Mild Steel.

These are Exhaust Primaries on a motor.

Which will flow better?

The Stainless Steel ones.

the milds absorb heat..ever use a torch on a peice of stainless?

Back