• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hot to fix 4x4

94 4x4 explorer

Reaction score
City, State
alvin, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 94 4x4 lifted 4inches on 33s, and my 4x4 does not work, its the push button 4x4 and the light comes on and everything turns(DRIVE SHAFT/ FRONT DIFF/ BOTH SIDES OF DRIVE SHAFT LINKS) up till the auto hubs(which i heard sucked for that year) and i also hear like its rubbing by the wheels as if its trying to engage , how can i fix this?

Also, if its hubs, could i possibly take manual locking hubs/ and all the rings off a 91 bronco II and basically switch everything on my explorer , and basically convert it to manual? I need help... Thanks

94 4x4 explorer...muddin till its dry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Flip4ford

Reaction score
City, State
Newton, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Sport
Could very well be the hubs. There are several threads about converting to manual hubs on here. The Jeep dana 35 hubs are the best and I have had them on mine for about 3 years of hard wheeling with no problems.

The BII hubs will not work. You have a dana 35 and BII's are a Dana 28.

Hope this helps.

4x4junkie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
So.Calif.(San Fernando Valley)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Ranger, '90 Bronco II
A small number of '90 BIIs did have the D35, but most are D28s, yes (there is no '91 BII).

Agreed, the Warn Jeep hubs pt#37780 are the ones to get if you plan to be doing any decent wheeling (especially if you have a front differential locker).

94 4x4 explorer

Reaction score
City, State
alvin, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sweet, thanks, where can I grt the jeep warn hubs? I plan on converting to manual locking hubs

unfallen

Reaction score
City, State
Marysville Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 6" susp on 33"
u can get them at any auto parts store

awdsixbolt

Reaction score
City, State
hampton va
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
trying cleaning your transfer case motor and see if that helps as well.

4x4junkie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
So.Calif.(San Fernando Valley)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Ranger, '90 Bronco II
u can get them at any auto parts store

Maybe regular hubs... But not the Warn Jeep hubs.

For the #37780 Jeep hubs try TRS Fab. I've also seen them pop up on Ebay as well as Amazon having them too.