• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Hotwheels wrap's up his 2yr project

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Spas - Yes, the passenger side must be cut down. Otherwise you wouldn't have much room at all for a suspension on the driver side. ;) You can either have a custom shaft made for the passenger side. Or you can get the correct measurements and have it cut down 5-6.5" (don't know exactly. Just about everyone seems to have a different number) and you can use an Early Bronco passenger shaft. This way when/if you broke a passenger side shaft you could just order one and/or keep a spare instead of worrying about it being custom done.

I've already done all of this research when I was planning on going with a cutdown axle. This was all before the "full width fad" came around. :D (me, codepoet, jrgaylor, svande, fordbeast98, boble86, trckmagik, half the other guys in TX who follow Brian's mods :p, ...)
Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
bmxking5 said:
Spas - Yes, the passenger side must be cut down. Otherwise you wouldn't have much room at all for a suspension on the driver side. ;)
Bryan
Toldja they were dumb questions, lol. I have nothing against full widths as far as trail use is concerned, but here in MD there's too many laws to keep me from going that route :p Has anyone ever tried a Rubicon 44 swap? (Yes yes, I know they're really D35's...)

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Spas said:
Has anyone ever tried a Rubicon 44 swap? (Yes yes, I know they're really D35's...)
Nope, they are actually Dana 44s on the inside, but the outer shafts are D30, not d35 ;) You can upgrade the outers to make it a true D44 (30 spline)

If you do a search, you'll see Positive Vibes' thread he started about the Rubicon D44, lots of info about it in that thread. :)

Hotweels

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
wish i never cut my housing down.... should have just moved the wedges in...

axle lengths are +- 1/4" and still work so you dont have to be super percise... if the axle is too long it hit's the cross pin in the carrier... there is only about 65-75% of total spline engagement on the end of a stock shaft in a stock open carrier anyway so you have a bit of play...

if you want an exact fit just order up a long side inner axle from superior for a early bronco then compair to a stock long shaft from your full width housing and that will give you the correct cut length... i have shortend both the 77 and down and 78-79 housings in my garage with minamal tools no issues... just make sure you have the castor angle of the knuckle within 1 degree of what it was or you will have steering issues...

also figured out my death wobble problem.... 7* c-bushings where way overkill... 2* is pretty damn close... tow in was a bit excessive as well but the new c-bushings made a huge differance