• Register Today It's free!

How’s the pattern.

tyler0904

Reaction score
City, State
orange
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I am regearing my front differential out of my 1994 Ford Explorer. What do you think of this pattern. Backlash was set at .007” and zero carrier bearing preload. I have it setup with zero pinion shims except for the oil slinger behind the inner pinion race and the other oil baffle between the pinion gear head and the bearing.

935B1DEF-065D-4676-814C-88E0B5EF3463.jpeg

5BEBBF0A-17E9-4A04-BBD9-1CD90E9F4DD6.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am regearing my front differential out of my 1994 Ford Explorer. What do you think of this pattern. Backlash was set at .007” and zero carrier bearing preload. I have it setup with zero pinion shims except for the oil slinger behind the inner pinion race and the other oil baffle between the pinion gear head and the bearing.

View attachment 325962

View attachment 325963
Couple things. If by "zero preload" you mean no bearing preload at all, your gearset will destroy itself when under heavy loading. If you mean "zero" to mean recommended values, great.

Your contact patterns are ideal, in that "drive side" is slightly inward of centered while "coast side" is slightly outward. The inward drive pattern tends to spread outward under loading. Personally, I prefer slightly more backlash than you mentioned, perhaps 0.010-0.12".

Couple things. If by "zero preload" you mean no bearing preload at all, your gearset will destroy itself when under heavy loading. If you mean "zero" to mean recommended values, great.

Your contact patterns are ideal, in that "drive side" is slightly inward of centered while "coast side" is slightly outward. The inward drive pattern tends to spread outward under loading. Personally, I prefer slightly more backlash than you mentioned, perhaps 0.010-0.12".

Perfect I’ll increase the backlash and see what happens. I am still in the setup phase just trying to get everything right before I do the final assembly. Yes I have zero carrier preload (the carrier shims just slid in by hand). I believe the carrier preload spec was .015”. Does that sound right?

Perfect I’ll increase the backlash and see what happens. I am still in the setup phase just trying to get everything right before I do the final assembly. Yes I have zero carrier preload (the carrier shims just slid in by hand). I believe the carrier preload spec was .015”. Does that sound right?
Preload is measured usually by prevailing torque to rotate the assembly. Pinion preload most important, 15 inch-lbs minimum for new bearings, 10-15 used, excluding drag of oil seal. .015 on diff carrier seems a bit high, but involves the force applied by the housing itself squeezing the bearings. Likely OK. Not easy to accurately measure.

After 30 plus years as a Ford tech I have a pretty good feel for the rotational torque but I still double check all of my gear set ups with one of these cheap inch/lb torque wrenches.

After 30 plus years as a Ford tech I have a pretty good feel for the rotational torque but I still double check all of my gear set ups with one of these cheap inch/lb torque wrenches.
Are we getting enough young guys adequately interested in the skills to slowly replace us, ya think? Maybe EVs will eliminate ring & pinion gears altogether!

Not yet on the new technicians. I'm 58 and I'll be the EV guy in the shop, not planning on to many EV's out in western South Dakota. Ford's kind of shoving down our throats including the required the dealership had to buy a $15,000 lift to remove battery packs from the Mach E's. I've always enjoyed learning new tech but at 58 and retiring when I'm 62 I'm kind of over it now :(

Are we getting enough young guys adequately interested in the skills to slowly replace us, ya think? Maybe EVs will eliminate ring & pinion gears altogether!
I don’t think we are? I don’t know the answer either? Grew up in vocational tech era when it was cool to be a mechanic, carpenter, electrician, welder.

Not yet on the new technicians. I'm 58 and I'll be the EV guy in the shop, not planning on to many EV's out in western South Dakota. Ford's kind of shoving down our throats including the required the dealership had to buy a $15,000 lift to remove battery packs from the Mach E's. I've always enjoyed learning new tech but at 58 and retiring when I'm 62 I'm kind of over it now :(
I can tell you the best thing I ever did was to retire. Lots of guys want to wait to get the most benefits. Unless you can tell the future, accurately, you have no idea of what tomorrow may bring. I took S/S at 62, 16 years ago. Last year at Christmastime, I suddenly experienced shortness of breath walking across a parking lot. Two hospitals later, they finally figured out my kidneys had quit working. Reason? THEY DON'T KNOW! Diagnosis? "Undefined Medical Syndrome". So now, I submit to dialysis every 2 days, they pump my blood through a filtering machine for 3 hours, I have to watch what I eat, drink as LITTLE fluid as possible (!), and cannot take a few days trip, tied to returning to a G.D. machine!

Never was sick a day before, first time in a hospital at age 77. RETIRE soon as you can, I say. imp

I can tell you the best thing I ever did was to retire. Lots of guys want to wait to get the most benefits. Unless you can tell the future, accurately, you have no idea of what tomorrow may bring. I took S/S at 62, 16 years ago. Last year at Christmastime, I suddenly experienced shortness of breath walking across a parking lot. Two hospitals later, they finally figured out my kidneys had quit working. Reason? THEY DON'T KNOW! Diagnosis? "Undefined Medical Syndrome". So now, I submit to dialysis every 2 days, they pump my blood through a filtering machine for 3 hours, I have to watch what I eat, drink as LITTLE fluid as possible (!), and cannot take a few days trip, tied to returning to a G.D. machine!

Never was sick a day before, first time in a hospital at age 77. RETIRE soon as you can, I say. imp
That's my plan you never know and I've lost a few friends/classmates in the past few years taking S/S at 62 been investing for quite a few years also, house and motorhome will be paid off. Take care! a good friend did the daily dialysis for years, he's now on his second transplant first one failed after a few years.

That's my plan you never know and I've lost a few friends/classmates in the past few years taking S/S at 62 been investing for quite a few years also, house and motorhome will be paid off. Take care! a good friend did the daily dialysis for years, he's now on his second transplant first one failed after a few years.

If these are to be under heavy load, you don't want the heavy straight line deep in the drive side. It could overload and chip the edge of the pinion teeth. Pull the pinion back .004 or .005 then recheck with all your slingers and preload shims installed. You can also spin the assembly as fast as you can with an open end wrench on a ring gear bolts and the gears will talk to you. If they are right they will be quiet, if not you will hear a slight knocking or rattling. (when dry of course)

View attachment 325962

View attachment 325963
Where are you located?

I got the front all setup and installed in the explorer. Everything went well. I have the rear pulled apart and set pinion depth to 2.634 (the pinion head said 2.631) and backlash was set to .012”. What do you guys think of the pattern? The coast side seems to be towards the toe and the drive side seems centered between the face and the flank.

2E30BDC1-240D-4D9D-8750-78E0BB860BD2.jpeg

7C156478-F373-4739-AC20-7E0717796058.jpeg

I got the front all setup and installed in the explorer. Everything went well. I have the rear pulled apart and set pinion depth to 2.634 (the pinion head said 2.631) and backlash was set to .012”. What do you guys think of the pattern? The coast side seems to be towards the toe and the drive side seems centered between the face and the flank.

View attachment 326973

View attachment 326974
Your patterns look good! Main thing to "feel" is how the mesh turns when you grasp the pinion to cause drag necessary while you turn the assembly by grasping the ring gear. The feel should be smooth with no "grating" or roughness feel as the gears mesh together. To do this, I usually wrap a rag around the u-joint yoke, to create drag.

Back