How 2 - faster SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How 2 - faster SOHC

Q: Know how to make the 4.0 SOHC faster?

A: Put it in a 3,400 Lb. vehicle! :thumbsup:

But seriously, I've been drooling over the new Mustang and was suprised to see the performance numbers with V6/auto in Car and Driver: 0-60 = 6.9 Sec; 1/4 mi = 15.3 Sec@ 91 MPH. That's only 0.6 and 0.2 Sec. slower, respectively, than the previous V8/auto. I wonder what the 5 spd. will do.

Looks like I gotta go figure out how to wack 1,000 pounds off my X! ;)

It's pretty cool they're putting the sohc in the new mustang. Forget chopping off stuff, I'm willing to bet more aftermarket parts that come out for that motor will bolt up to the explorer sohc and possible the ohv. We shall see :)

Yeah I definately can't wait to see the amount of performance products available for the motor. Should be able to make my Explorer nice and decently fast.

It should be interesting to see what kind if any problems the new sohc has in the mustang. If it doesnt have issues with the lower intake gaskets and cam tensioners like the current sohc it might be a good swap. I've known a couple of people who have had those recalls done and it still didnt fix those problems so we shall see. Though if it where me and i was swapping motors i'd just grap a 5.0 out of a wrecked explorer and build that up.

Back