How 2 undo flywheel bolts with a locked engine?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How 2 undo flywheel bolts with a locked engine??

BajaBilly

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Would anyone have any advice on how to undo the torque converter to flywheel bolts if my engine is locked and I can't turn the flywheel?

Would it be easier to just pull out the whole trans with the engine and go from there?

Thanx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried pulling all the spark plugs and turning it over?

No, actually I haven't.
I'll give it a try.

I lost all oil pressure and that is when she seized so I figured a piston was stuck on the cylindar or something of that nature.

Thanx!

If you remove all the bots and wires from the tranny to the block you shoulf be able to pull the tranny off with the torque converter still in place. It won't come off as easy and it will be messy but it can be done.

Ok thanks.
It looks like that is what I'll have to do.
I can't get the flywheel to budge. I even threw in the starter, with no spark plugs in, and it wouldn't do a thing.

As long as there is enough room to slide the engine forward enough to let the torque converter slide off of the spline, I can live with the mess.:)

Back