How big of a usb thumb drive can be used? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How big of a usb thumb drive can be used?

keptman

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer King Ranch
I've been playing with using a 16gb thumb drive. The car seems to be struggling with reading it.
I switched it from nfts to fat32 after reading on this.
I'm just wondering if using this big of a memory storage is to much for the system to read. Trying a second unit with only ten albums on it next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used a 16GB several times with no issue.

Mine's 32GB. It can take a while to index if the drive was unplugged.

I use a 64gb thumb drive with no issues

I use a 64gb thumb drive with no issues
Anyone find a way to make a play list using a thumb drive. Ideally sync would have a APP which would recognize a iTunes playlist.

I gave up and use iPhone which has 20gb of iTunes 3,200 songs. I sync it from my home network which keeps it current. I have a drive in the vehicle as a last resort but find it takes way too much effort while driving to scan thru it.

The biggest issue I have with the system as a whole. Is it doesn't want to connect to the USB sometimes. Takes up too 5 minutes, by this point its switched over to the radio. Sometimes its doing this with my phones bluetooth connection as well. Could be my phone.
The other I don't like when using USB or bluetooth. The music skips like a bad radio signal or a scratch in a cd/album.
Its sad that a system fords been using for several years still has problems like this.

The biggest issue I have with the system as a whole. Is it doesn't want to connect to the USB sometimes. Takes up too 5 minutes, by this point its switched over to the radio. Sometimes its doing this with my phones bluetooth connection as well. Could be my phone.
The other I don't like when using USB or bluetooth. The music skips like a bad radio signal or a scratch in a cd/album.
Its sad that a system fords been using for several years still has problems like this.
I disabled auto play and that made a difference.....I no longer need a co-pilot to work the radio while driving....

Back