• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How can i beef up my 4.0 SOHC

Chevyinaford

Reaction score
City, State
Lapeer mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hello all i have a 2000 explorer 4door 4x4. Its been a good truck but i would like some more power... What can i do to beef it up?
Thanks for your time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

lynchy wa

Down Under Beer Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT V8
G'day, welcome to the forum. Since you've got a V6 drop in a V8, just dont put in a 350 or you'll get banned:D

Brandon96

Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
Welcome to the forums.

What are you looking for? Simple bolt ons? (not many) or extensive work? Price range?

One of the killers of the SOHC's power is its intake and especially exhaust flow in the heads. You could upgrade the camshaft as the stock one leaves a lot to be desired.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
welcome

Carguy3J

Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
http://www.hensonperformance.com/Productsft.html

Underdrive Crank Pulley, Cold Air Kit, Cat-Back exhaust, an SCT Xcal3 (or LiveWire,etc...if you prefer) with a custom tune.

Also, consider changing all you fluids to synthetics (front and rear diffs, trans, transfer case, and motor oil)

Also, remove the stock mechanical fan, and swap it for an electric. Along w/ better mpg, that alone should be good for about 10hp. It take allot to move those fan blades through the air, especially at higher rpms.

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
just dont put in a 350 or you'll get banned:D
:frustrate I was thinking about banning :hammer: him just for the :censored: :bsnicker: "Chevyinaford" handle ! !:crazy:

Welcome .......... I think. :D