How can you deactivate ABS/RSC when one of your ABS sensors goes bad ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How can you deactivate ABS/RSC when one of your ABS sensors goes bad ?

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Last night driving home from work, the car suddenly would not move even if I pressed the gas - typical ABS sensor problem, had it in the past. I shut off the car restarted, and it was gone and I was able to get home (30 miles of nervous driving), the ABS and traction light stayed for a while, then went away, then flashed few more times. I scanned it with my Innova and there were no codes stored. I used the tourqe app on my Nav head unit and I see C1233 which indicates left front wheel.
Question:
What fuse or relay would you remove to "limp" home at normal speed without ABS or RSC functioning but not to be stopped by brakes activating and holding your car ?
I heard pressing the traction control button might work, but not sure about that.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the ABS main fuse. That may make if ok but brakes many not be optimum and you need to fix it ASAP.

The light never came back but I know something was wrong in there. Since I had some old working hubs in my garage, I swapped the hub and the ABS cable. It turned out to be an aftermarket hub from eBay that I was experimenting when trying to eliminate some humming noise in the car (still there). I bought 2 hubs for $ 100 (I should have known better). One triggered ABS light right away so I returned it, the other one lasted few months and triggered the C1233.
Lesson learned. Cheap is cheap :)
Drove to work on an old Motorcraft HUB67 with no issues.

Tripplec -

can you tell me the location of the ABS main fuse ?
Sounds like you have had that issue before.

Not on an Explorer but other vehicle once. It should be under the hood PDU.

I had to scan through the PDF manual and looks like Fuse #33

upload_2017-11-16_11-58-1.png

Fuse #6 as well is involved and may only needed that pulled.

upload_2017-11-16_12-1-58.png

Thanks.

Interestingly, in my 06 manual # 6 and # 33 read "IVD module".
But I figured out how to disable the TC/ABS for testing purposes when I was reading the manual.

I had my car on the blocks all 4 corners since I am still chasing some droning, grinding noise. If I press the TC button and hold it for 5 sec, it will flash and disable the TC and the ABS.

After that, when I put it in gear, the wheels will spin without kicking and jerkin as if the car was slipping on ice.
Listened to all 4 bearings, transfer case, differentials and do not know what makes that noise. It comes around 30-40 mph, then again around 70 mph.
Drives me nuts.

Well your manual should indicated the respective fuse for that build. All ABS equipped vehicles have a master fuse powering the ABS system. I had remove it in an MPV 4x4 Mazda since by design it did not work right. I wired a switch inside to enable and disable the ABS. Why you might say. Well on slippery roads (wet, snowy and during rain falls ) a hard stop the ABS would release brake pad pressure and I'd end up running the lights and stops signs. I had to many close calls and near heart attack ones in which I nearly rear ended another vehicle.

I do not have any fuse labeled "ABS", I think IVD is Integrated Vehicle Dynamics which may be same thing.

my front right sensor went bad and the only issue its causing is no auto 4wd, traction control and abs. I can use fulltime 4wd without issues but this makes me feel like its become a death trap if it started snowing...... it now spins one tire when it rains gonna be fixing this sensor soon

swapped out sensor from my spare hub and all is fixed!

Last night driving home from work, the car suddenly would not move even if I pressed the gas - typical ABS sensor problem, had it in the past. I shut off the car restarted, and it was gone and I was able to get home (30 miles of nervous driving), the ABS and traction light stayed for a while, then went away, then flashed few more times. I scanned it with my Innova and there were no codes stored. I used the tourqe app on my Nav head unit and I see C1233 which indicates left front wheel.
Question:
What fuse or relay would you remove to "limp" home at normal speed without ABS or RSC functioning but not to be stopped by brakes activating and holding your car ?
I heard pressing the traction control button might work, but not sure about that.
Thanks

Question:
Thanks
I had that problem before and i removed the abs fuse to drive it until my new wheel hub and sensor came

Back