How common is it to have the timing chain rattle with an intact main tensioner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How common is it to have the timing chain rattle with an intact main tensioner?

stoogefan

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I just finished the front timing chains, plugs, and wires on my 2002 Explorer last night. I had the famous rattle from about 2,200 to 2,800 RPM and it started in January at about 128,000 miles. I fully expected to see the main chain flopping around and bits of plastic in the oil pan and pickup. To my surprise, when I pulled the front cover, everything looked good and there was no slack in any of the chains. I then pulled the oil pan and it was clean. I replaced the main chain, sprockets, left cassette, and the left & right tensioners but it made me unsure if this was my problem or not. It turns out it was! No rattles at all this morning driving to work! The springs must have been wearing out but not yet broken.

How many of you have experienced the rattle and found a “visually intact” tensioner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is probably the rear chains and tensioners.

3 or 6 leaf tensioner?

The 2002 models are supposed to have the upgraded primary tensioners. Was yours a 3 leaf or 6 leaf tensioner? My 3 leaf was broken but did not appear to be but upon further examination I found it was not exerting any tension on the chain.

I had the older 3-leaf tensioner and mine is a late build truck. The date on the engine is 4/13/2002. Perhaps they were trying to use up all of the inferior parts first.

appearance deceiving

My primary tensioner appeared to be intact but all 3 leaves were broken near the pivot.
PrimWorn.jpg

It's the rear chain (that I'm told) that always is the first to go. My rear chain makes noise all the time now. My front chain doesn't make noise like the rear.
So if I were you, I would do the rear chain and tensioners.

The right cassette is fine although I did replace it's tensioner. I replaced the left cassette just because I bought one and had it open. It was in fine condition. It is very quiet now as the main chain was the problem.

I always thought that the left cassette was the first to go since the right one in the rear of the engine receives more lubrication.

My 03 rear set went at highway speed after a few rattles. Due to the high RPM the bits of plastic came up and cracked the RH valve cover. Kept running (not well) until I got it in the garage. Engine swap time.

I think I might have the same issue.....does it only rattle for a short time??? Kind of a metallic sort of rattle?

Back