How did my explorer lock me out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How did my explorer lock me out?

Brittany Six

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hello! I hope someone here knows what happened, as this is twice that my Explorer has done this. I dropped my kids at daycare this morning and left the car running with the keys in it while I ran them inside. When I got back to the vehicle, all doors were locked. I never hit the lock button. Anytime I tried to lock it myself not realizing keys were in it, the horn would beep and it wouldn’t lock. When I get out of it and lock it, either with the button on the door or the key fob, the mirrors fold in. Today and the time before, the mirrors never folded in and the horn never sounded so I know it wasn’t me that absent mindedly locked it. What happened? I plan on getting the code for the touchpad on the door. I should have done this after the first incident but assumed it was a fluke.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did that once on a side street in Atlantic City, in my 2016 Sport. $178 because I didn't know my door code. I couldn't reproduce the issue at home for some reason. Just an unfortunate fluke.

Probably a great reason to not leave the car running, and unlocked while you aren’t in it.

In my case I got out to remove my cb antenna, so I could get into the parking garage. It wasn't until the tailgate closed & it dawned on me that the horn didn't beep when I got out and closed the door. Phone, wallet and keys were in the console.....

From this point on, keys stay in the pocket and a picture of the door codes saved on mine & my wife's phones.

Funny part was a guy came up to me asking if I could spare some change. I looked at him with a "really" look, he look at me standing outside of my running car, smiled and told me to have a great day....

From this point on, keys stay in the pocket and a picture of the door codes saved on mine & my wife's phones.

Why not just input a easy to remember number. You can input 5 different codes I believe.

......... I plan on getting the code for the touchpad on the door. I should have done this after the first incident but assumed it was a fluke.
Welcome to the Forum Brittany.:wave:
The Securicode keypad number should have been with the vehicle's info brochures when you bought it. If you don't have it, the number is also down near the cabin fuse box. Factory Door Code (Securicode)

Peter

Back