How did you Quit Smoking? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

How did you Quit Smoking?

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Well since it is the new Year it is time for new year resolutions. Mine is to quit smoking by Jan. 31st.
Now I was just wondering how did you guys or gals quit? I don't have the money for the gum, patches, pills etc. If you have any tips that would be great.
Here is my plan of attack. I am verrry dedicated to this and I do want to quit. Thats the main thing. I Have already cut down on how offten I somke. I have switched to lights and plan on smoking the lights for a week while cutting down how offten I smoke. After that week I plan on switching to ultra lights while reducing the amount I smoke even more. After a week of that I plan on just going cold turkey. Does this sound like a good plan of attack? I know it will be hard. Any advice, tips or words of encouragement will be helpful.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TwoToneX

my pockets hurt
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
broomfield, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'90 XLT 4x4
Gum. Chew it when you have a craving, that's what my friend did when he quit cold turkey. Wish I could help more but hell, I'm smoking as I type this :confused:

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
I have heard that helps alot but I hate chewing gum. I have tried it and it just makes me want to smoke more. Maybe I will try sunflower seeds.

Commtech

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Mountaineer 5.0l AWD
I went cold turkey after 20 years of smoking... Will be 2 years in April

Okrazie1

Elite Zoom Zoomer!
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger
My New Year's resolution for 1991 was to quit smoking. I did not cut back or change brands beforehand. I used breath mints as my crutch. I told a bunch of people of my intentions ahead of time so they would hold me to it, and know why I became a cranky SOB all of the sudden. The first two months were the worst, but after that it got much easier. Even now, every once in awhile I'll smell a cigarette and get a mild urge, but I know it will pass.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
I quit not long after my son was born, that was 20 years ago, I was 40 and I'd been smoking since 13ish. What I finally did was to stop cleaning up after myself. I didnt empty any ashtrays, not in the house, not in the car and finally it got so disgusting that I couldn't stand to smoke anymore. Worked like a charm.

Everything is so much different once you quit, food tastes better, you taste better (or so I was told ;) ) everything smells better, its like experiencing life as a whole new person. I never have a craving, actually the smell turns my stomach a little now.

FrankRizzo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
330 XLT
Originally posted by Okrazie1
Even now, every once in awhile I'll smell a cigarette and get a mild urge, but I know it will pass.

I hear that!!! November was one year without for me. I quit after 18 years of fairly heavy smoking. I don't like the smell on my clothes, but every once in a while I get the mild urge when I smell one.....

Like Stevie says above: "Everything is so much different once you quit, food tastes better, you taste better (or so I was told ) everything smells better, its like experiencing life as a whole new person." This is kinda a trip. I kept asking my wife "is this supposed to taste like this???" Funnn-neee.

I gained like 15 lbs, tho. Also, it's amazing how much more work you get done not having to go outside and smoke all the time!!

IT AIN'T easy. I wish you the best of luck. This was the hardest thing I ever had to do, and I was in the Service, doing hardcore shi* like Airborne, Air Assault and shootig at ****'s! The first 3 days are the worst, and it gets easier every day after that....
Good luck again.

Attachments

• 17drug_facts-med.jpg
    17drug_facts-med.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 277

R

rydinhigh

dude lemme tell you...My new years resolution was also to quit smoking. It has been about 23 hours and it is hard as hell. My body is very fidgity, everyone has been getting on my nerves and I have this wicked headache. I am trying this cold turkey, the gum is helping a little but not enough. Good luck my brotha.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Originally posted by FrankRizzo

Like Stevie says above: "Everything is so much different once you quit, food tastes better, you taste better (or so I was told ) everything smells better, its like experiencing life as a whole new person." This is kinda a trip. I kept asking my wife "is this supposed to taste like this???" Funnn-neee.

I gained like 15 lbs, tho. Also, it's amazing how much more work you get done not having to go outside and smoke all the time!!

It is a trip isn't it Frankie ;)

I did put on a lot of weight too, I was always about 160ish, its funny as hell to look back at old pictures, now I'm about 210. Its easier on us guys than it is for the women ;)

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Originally posted by rydinhigh
dude lemme tell you...My new years resolution was also to quit smoking. It has been about 23 hours and it is hard as hell. My body is very fidgity, everyone has been getting on my nerves and I have this wicked headache. I am trying this cold turkey, the gum is helping a little but not enough. Good luck my brotha.

I have tried it cold turkey before but I caved after 2 days. Keep it up man. It will be worth it in the end.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
i used to smoke occasionally.... but have since joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I quit cold turkey.. Now, sometimes when i get really stressed i miss it, but i know it is better for me in the long run.....

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Good luck Joe,
I have never smoked but I know people that have and I guess the biggest thing is if you really want to stop that makes it a lot easier.
I wished we were closer so we could help you, but like someone else said tell your friends so maybe they can help you.
Keep us up dated so we know how things go.
You know our family is pulling for you......

rvitek

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wauconda, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT 5.0
I quit - and you can too. First thing is this - you have to WANT to quit, not need to quit. I did it by being hypnotized, Goen Seminars. Best experience in my life and they have a lifetime guarantee. Plus, I didn't use any other pill/gum/bleah in addition to this.

I'll be smoke free for one year in March, and I absoutely love it!

Remember - You have to WANT to quit smoking!

Good luck!

Ry.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
I had open heart surgery 6 years ago, I was 54. Now, as I told you I was 40 when I stopped smoking, that was 14 years later. There were complications and I was unconcious for 7 days, during those seven days they pumped liter after liter of black bile out of my stomach and lungs, my family said it was amazing. The doctor told me that it was from the amount that I'd smoked, and what I smoked (2-3 packs a day, Pall Mall unfiltered) even 14 years later.

Quit while you're young, or just don't start. Nothing good comes from the habit. If I hadn't smoked for all those years I might not have to carry around these nitro tablets now...

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
Joe, one of my old friends quit this way. He bought his last pack. He made it last a week. He was a pack a day or so kinda guy. Then the next week he had One cig left, he made that last all week and that was that. :) Sorta a cold turkey way to do it I guess.

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Like I said before I have never smoked, but maybe it would help if you didn't hang out at the places you did a lot of smoking. Then after you quite you can always go back.
I know bars and smoking kind of go together.

Joe, just to let you know Patrick was reading this thread over my shoulder and he really thinks it's great you are going to stop smoking so I know he is pulling for you....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dennis Myers

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, IL 60538
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
If you have the money for cigs you have the money for the patch. I smoked for 24 years and decided it was time to quit (you have to want to quit not just say it) so April 8th of 2002 I had my last cig started the patch on the 9th did the step down with the patch and have not smoked sense. But I must say again, until you really want to quit there is only one thing you can do to quit and that is die. Good luck it was easy for me, I was smoking atleast 2 packs a day when I quit. The other thought I had was at the price of smokes I will be saving over $4,000 a year (more toys for the truck).