How did you Quit Smoking? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

How did you Quit Smoking?

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Glad to hear you are still sticking with it...
I don't remember anyone saying it was easy to quit so it sounds like you are doing what you need to stop.
I would think each day you don't smoke the next day would be easier but then I haven't had to quit.

KEEP IT UP JOE!!!!!!!
:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Perry. It does get easier everyday but I also get more edgey everyday. I have noticed the littlest things get me pissed off. Im sure it will go away. I just keep telling myself I can do this. tomorrow will be hard for me though. My friends are taking me to the bar for my B-day and It will be my first time around smokers since I haven't had a smoke.

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I quit about two years ago cold turkey. I went from smoking 2 packs a day to nothing and I honestly havn't smoked since. It was the hardest thing Ive ever done and till this day I still have cravings for a smoke. you need strong will power and self control, try breathing out of a straw for a day...then think of breathing like that forever. Good luck brotha.

Buds007

Reaction score
City, State
Provo, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4 door
Jim, you are a member. I had no clue. Thats tight, you are the first person on this site that I know of that is mormon. I am also by the way. :D

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Well I am still smoke free and I feel sooo much better. No more hacking up the brown/green lung chunks in the morning. Dont miss it one bit. I can also breathe better after doing some thing active. I am saving quite abit of money too. I calculated that I will be saving about 2,500 dollars a year from not buying smokes. I am putting the money I would use to buy my cigarettes for the day in a jar. After 1 year I will take that money and go on a trip somewhere or buy myself something nice as a reward. Thanks for all your help guys. If anyone is thinking about quiting Do it you won't regrett it, and if you are thinking about starting don do it you will regret it. I will keep ya posted with updates of my progress.

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Joe that is great to hear. Sounds like you have a plan and you are sticking with it.
I would say doing the trip thing would be a great idea for you......

Yomie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
I've been about 3 weeks without a Cigarette now. I have a lil help, since i work in a hospital it is a lil easier for me, but i am taking Zyban and i personally think it works. I ahve cravings everynow and then, but thats something good self control helps out with. Congratulations to everyone who quit! I'm there with ya!

JoKKer

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Good luck with it

I think i'm going to jump on the wagon (smokin wagon) with ya. I'm 30 years old been smoking for about 16 years and now i have a great wife 2 great kids and i would really like to see them grow up. Good luck to you and everyone else trying to quit. I started this morning. So if I have not killed anyone by next week i think i'll be OK. :D

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Good luck to both of you Yomie and JoKKer. It isnt easy. Probably the hardest thing I have done.

Yomie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
Originally posted by Joe93
Good luck to both of you Yomie and JoKKer. It isnt easy. Probably the hardest thing I have done.

Yeah i know, i've tried cold turkey before, and i know it can be hard. Believe it or not, this time with the Zyban, and the mind set that i really need to quit its not that hard at all, i'm really going through with it well. The hardest part i think is that my girl smokes but i don't see her to often (we live ~200 miles away now) and she doesn't smoke around me now

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
Here is my story. I never smoked too much, about 5 to 10 cigarettes a day. Then, when I got accepted for the try-outs for the Camel Trophy, I thought it might be a good idea to start working out a little and doing more sports for having a better chance. After the first hour of huffing and puffing on the tread-mill, I decided to quit smoking.

Roughly 8 years later, I never made it to the actual Camel Trophy, but I'm still working out regularly and never started smoking again. So what partly was invented as publicity for Camel cigarettes actually made me quit smoking - right - Camels :D

A Wise Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Limited Dark Cherry
My time was the end of April 2000. I dropped off my motorcycle for service and was waiting for my wife to pick me up. After a fine meal at McD's and still waiting for her I opened my pack and there was one left. Lit it and did it. The next day we were on our way to Ft. L. for 10 days of goofing off in a Mustang Convertable. Ft. L., Miami, The Keys, sunshine and the Ocean air. Oh and a shitload of willpower. I never mentioned to my wife that I was going to quit. She never mentioned why I never had one. I guess she just kinda knew and left it alone. It was easy while we were away but returning to the stresses of work was a little more difficult and trying. But, hey, I had 10 days already why screw it up now? One of the guys at work told me that when he was in highschool he learned that it took 21 days for the nicotine to leave your system so that was the goal. 21 days came and went but the oral fixation was a little harder to get rid of. If you have ever seen the commercial for what do you use your Sharpie for, well they forgot one. I would kill the cap and body of the marker before the tip and I could kill a tip in 2 days. That too passed. The closest I ever got to becomming a smoker again was on a motorcycle charity ride. While in the parade my buddies couldn't get their smokes lit and since I have a lighter installed on my bike they asked if I would do them the honors. Well it was my old brand I was lighting and it would have been easy enough not to give it back after lighting it. But, it was the worst tasting thing I have ever experienced and that time just reassured me not to start that again. If you truely want to quit you will. If you are just thinking about quitting you will start up again because the time is not yet right. I quit once because it was newyears, wrong reason. I quit the second time for me. I do not need to quit a third time. Best of luck and stick with it. Hopefully it is for you and not just a because.

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Well I made my goal and I think it is safe to say that I have quit smoking. I dont miss it any. It was a hard thiing to do but i'm glad I did it. I feel so much better about myself and physicaly. Now i just need to find out where I want to go when I have saved my money for a year. I hope everyone else is doing as well as I am and if not I dont blame you it is a hard thing to do.

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
GREAT JOB JOE!!!!

I know at my work they give people $100.00 for quiting smoking but you have to be smoke free for 6 months. I guess even though you think you have it licked you still might have some tempations but we hope you keep at it.

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Tried quitting, but haven't been able to shake that monkey just yet.

Hell I even tried the patch, but that just sent me on a mission. After I stopped using it...I was smoking more than I was when I started using it.

One of these days I'll beat this habit. And in NY where cigs are $8.00 a pack I'll probably be a rich man!

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I recently lost a very good friend to lung cancer. He was a mountain of a man, an All American center at the U of Miami.

Finally, when the doctors said he wasn't gonna make it, he decided to quit smoking.

It was so sad to watch this vibrant man wither away.

How could anyone smoke?

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
The temptations are still there but they are easier to ignore as time goes buy. I won't consider myself officialy quit till 1 year has passed. This is my 6th attempt at quiting and this is also the longest i have gone on any of my attempts. So I am pretty sure I am going to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!