How do I add AC compressor oil? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

How do I add AC compressor oil?

Xcellr8

Reaction score
City, State
Central, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EB
Changing the AC compressor in my 98 4.0 SOHC. Trying to add the PAG oil to the compressor and oil is not staying in compressor. I started by draining the "shipping" oil from the new compressor. Then poured the 8 oz bottle of PAG 46 into the compressor. However, when I turn the pulley, the oil comes out the opposite hole that I poured the oil into. Even if I didn't turn the pulley, it appreaded the oil would just run back out if I layed it sideways as if reinstalling into vehicle.

What am I missing? What is the proper procedure. Would be helpful if someone could confirm proper amount of oil, 8oz or 10oz, I've seen both.

New drier (after I get compressor back on), new orifice, system has been flushed.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
It gets added via the same port that you add freon, after vacuuming the system (to remove the water).
The normal A/C bottle has some oil, but you can buy some with just oil. You need to keep the bottles upside-down, to leak oil inside.

Xcellr8

Reaction score
City, State
Central, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EB
Thanks for the reply. There may be oil that can be added to a system via the low pressure port like freon, but when changing the compressor there is oil that is added directly to the compressor itself. That is what I am talking about. Anyone else chime in here?

deweyville65

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey,Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EXPLORER XLT
Stand the compressor up on the clutch, pour oil in the ports for the hoses. But be careful you don't pour too much in. Too much oil will destroy the compressor. When you add freon, you will be adding oil too.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
the oil for the compressor lives in the system with the refrigerant. it circulates throughout the system. i just get a can of pressurized oil and add it through the low side port, the same place (and way) you add the freon. the compressor will not run until the refrigerant pressure starts to reach close to operating pressure. once it does, the oil and refrigerant will circulate together.