• Register Today It's free!

How do I add AC compressor oil?

Xcellr8

Reaction score
City, State
Central, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EB
Changing the AC compressor in my 98 4.0 SOHC. Trying to add the PAG oil to the compressor and oil is not staying in compressor. I started by draining the "shipping" oil from the new compressor. Then poured the 8 oz bottle of PAG 46 into the compressor. However, when I turn the pulley, the oil comes out the opposite hole that I poured the oil into. Even if I didn't turn the pulley, it appreaded the oil would just run back out if I layed it sideways as if reinstalling into vehicle.

What am I missing? What is the proper procedure. Would be helpful if someone could confirm proper amount of oil, 8oz or 10oz, I've seen both.

New drier (after I get compressor back on), new orifice, system has been flushed.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It gets added via the same port that you add freon, after vacuuming the system (to remove the water).
The normal A/C bottle has some oil, but you can buy some with just oil. You need to keep the bottles upside-down, to leak oil inside.

Thanks for the reply. There may be oil that can be added to a system via the low pressure port like freon, but when changing the compressor there is oil that is added directly to the compressor itself. That is what I am talking about. Anyone else chime in here?

Stand the compressor up on the clutch, pour oil in the ports for the hoses. But be careful you don't pour too much in. Too much oil will destroy the compressor. When you add freon, you will be adding oil too.

the oil for the compressor lives in the system with the refrigerant. it circulates throughout the system. i just get a can of pressurized oil and add it through the low side port, the same place (and way) you add the freon. the compressor will not run until the refrigerant pressure starts to reach close to operating pressure. once it does, the oil and refrigerant will circulate together.

I have the same kind of question as started this thread.

I have a 2002 Explorer limited with AC Issues. It has front and rear AC. Per the info on the sticker under the hood, It takes 56 oz. of R134a and It takes 13 oz. of oil, I need to know how much oil goes where on refill/recharge. I flushed the system and am ready to install compressor. I have replaced Compressor, drier, front orifice and rear ac expansion valve and condenser with new stuff. I drained the oil out of the new compressor that came in it (somewhere between 3 and 5 oz) ...now I need to know how much of the 13 oz of oil goes in the compressor, the drier, etc...

The oil I have is liquid in bottles. I can't put it in with the Freon through the hi/low ports.

Please provide amounts...I can't find that info anywhere...

Please don’t ask the same question in multiple threads

Back