How do I add steering wheel audio control to '07 Explorer, EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I add steering wheel audio control to '07 Explorer, EB

MonsterGarage

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer EB, 4.6,4x4
OK, so I have searched the forums already and not seeing any stickies or the information in the many pages I have searched, so if the answer exists, please don't flame or tell me to search.......

I have '07 Explorer, 4x4, EB, 4.6L. It has aftermarket Pioneer head unit and 2 other DVD players and monitors in the headrests. No idea how any of the install was done. Bought it this way from a friend.

What I would like information on how to do is the following:
- I want to install the factory steering wheel audio controls into the steering wheel. Once installed, I want to be able to control the basic audio functions of the Pioneer head unit. Nothing fancy required.
- I have talked to a couple of Ford guys who think its just a matter of buying the right parts.
- The one guy I talked to said that all the 2006+ Fords use the same computer (for the body control module?) and that any steering wheel audio control switches from a newer vehicle (he listed the Ford Edge as an example) could be shoved into an older Ford truck and be made to work. Is this in fact possible? What do I need? Do I need to replace the steering wheel? Clock spring assembly / wiring? Any information is appreciated.

Looking to do this as a nice thing for my wife who says she misses the steering wheel audio controls her minivan used to have. Plus I have the annoying dome light issue with the ignition key to fix. May as well do it all at once.

Back