How do i change a 4x4 into rwd only ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i change a 4x4 into rwd only ?

Kevin777

Reaction score
City, State
Dover DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
How do i change a 4x4 into rwd only? So i can lower it.
It's a 4x4 4dr 4.0 '94

Mods if this is the wrong place move it please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well option 1 is to sell your 4x4 and buy a 2wd.
Option 2 is to swap everything from a 2wd under your truck.

On the other hand you don't have to be 2wd to lower it, you can lower a 4x4, people will just look at you funny. :p

hopefully spdracer will pop in, I know he has a lowered 1st gen, not sure if it's a 4x4 or not though...

Using blocks on the rear will lower the rear since the springs sit under the rear axle. Then you have to deal with the front. Not sure on that one.

Cut the coils up front? no?

Or you could buy smaller springs, but who does that, lol.

Best option, sell your 4wd, buy a 2wd, pocket the difference in the price

I have 1 of each....I have a lowered 1992 2WD, a Lifted 1994 4x4, and an ALL STOCK (and staying that way, according to my wife) 1998 Mountaineer AWD.

To swap the 4x4 to 2WD, you will need the 2WD I-beams (obviously), the Radius Arms, and the I-beam mount on the passenger side of the Engine Crossmember. That one holds the Drivers Side Beam. The other mount is the same for 2WD & 4WD.

After you get the front suspension mounted up it's just a matter of getting the transmission sorted out. You can keep the 4WD transmission and transfercase.... and just keep the TC in 2HI all the time...and never mess with it, you won't break the chain, as it is not driving anything....OR you can swap to a 2WD transmission. The 2WD transmissions are harder to find, though not impossible.

Ryan

I have 1 of each....I have a lowered 1992 2WD, a Lifted 1994 4x4, and an ALL STOCK (and staying that way, according to my wife) 1998 Mountaineer AWD.

To swap the 4x4 to 2WD, you will need the 2WD I-beams (obviously), the Radius Arms, and the I-beam mount on the passenger side of the Engine Crossmember. That one holds the Drivers Side Beam. The other mount is the same for 2WD & 4WD.

After you get the front suspension mounted up it's just a matter of getting the transmission sorted out. You can keep the 4WD transmission and transfercase.... and just keep the TC in 2HI all the time...and never mess with it, you won't break the chain, as it is not driving anything....OR you can swap to a 2WD transmission. The 2WD transmissions are harder to find, though not impossible.

Ryan

Would an M5OD tranny out of a 2nd gen ranger work? and if so would it bolt right in? And do you have any pictures that i can base off of?

On the other hand you don't have to be 2wd to lower it, you can lower a 4x4, people will just look at you funny. :p

The reason people want 2wd to lower is because you can only lower a 1st gen 4x4 ~2" in the front before the drive shaft hits stuff. But you can drag the frame with a 2wd.

would it not be possible to just disconnect the front wheals from the transmission by removing the front driveshaft?

would it not be possible to just disconnect the front wheals from the transmission by removing the front driveshaft?

If i do that ill end up with deadweight that still has to be lugged around. The lighter the better cuz an X weighs upwards of 4000lbs.

If i do that ill end up with deadweight that still has to be lugged around. The lighter the better cuz an X weighs upwards of 4000lbs.

I understand that but that means that it os possible to just remove the front drive shaft?

I understand that but that means that it os possible to just remove the front drive shaft?

yes but i wana be able to bag n' drag when im done, so, what needs to be done to swap 2wd equipment?

Trade me for my 2wd.

Back