• Register Today It's free!

How do I change the rear brakes?

fedkilla

Reaction score
City, State
louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac 4wd
i have never done the rear brakes. 2001 ford explorer sport trac 4wd. can anyone give me some tips? and maybe a few photos?
thanks all:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The '01 & '02 models were drum brakes.

This tutorial is on a 93 model Explorer but it's the same for your '01 Sport Trac. Remove both wheels/drums but only disassemble one side at a time so you can use the other side as a reference if you get confused on where everything goes.:thumbsup:

brakes

pretty sure they are drum. they look nothing like the ones on the front.

Loud pop/clank noise from front right side???

when i pull in/out of parking space i get a loud clank/pop sound. could it be cv boot? pinon? i have replaced almost everything to do with the suspension already. please help.

heater kinda not working. 01 sport trac 4wd

my heat works but the face blowers do not. :( where is the actuator locater for that?

locks 01 sport trac

all of my doors unlock execpt the driver side? please help.:( and also my keys do not work in the doors. i have to lock/unlock with the code.
this truck is a money pit!

engine light 01 sport trac 4wd

the code read bank 1 & 2 lean. so i replaced the maf sensor and the 2 upstream sensors. the engine light came back on. the code reads the same damn thing? wtf. lol
please help:)

1)
pretty sure they are drum. they look nothing like the ones on the front.
They ARE drum brakes. ALL '01-'02 Sport Tracs had drum brakes.

2)
when i pull in/out of parking space i get a loud clank/pop sound. could it be cv boot? pinon? i have replaced almost everything to do with the suspension already. please help.
If the clunk/pop is from the front a CV joint would be something to check. How many miles is on your truck? Is it lifted or stock height?

3)
my heat works but the face blowers do not. :( where is the actuator located for that?
Heat works so it gets warm. Do the floor vents work when FLOOR is selected? Does it switch between the other selected functions?

4)
all of my doors unlock except the driver side? please help.:( and also my keys do not work in the doors. i have to lock/unlock with the code.
Do you have the remote key fob? Does the drivers door LOCK using it? Does it lock/unlock when you press the lock button on the door panel?

5)
this truck is a money pit!
It's 10 years old, with how many miles?

6)
the code read bank 1 & 2 lean. so i replaced the maf sensor and the 2 upstream sensors. the engine light came back on. the code reads the same damn thing? wtf. lol
please help:)
The code numbers were what, P0171 & P0174? You have a vacuum leak. 2001 Job 2 and later 4.0L's are famous for the PCV elbow cracking and throwing those codes. We'll need to know if yours is a Job 1 or Job 2.

You can respond to those questions by number and not make a separate post for each.;)

I will respond to your PM in a moment.

You have a Job 2 02/05/2001 build date, so the cracked elbow will most likely be your lean code problem.

PCVelbow.jpg

PCVElbowcrack.jpg
KCV190PCVElbowHose.jpg

You also have the 05S28 Cruise Control Recall that has not been done. Do that immediately, fire risk!

Back