How do I find towing capacity for my 1996 Explorer 4WD Eddie Bauer 4-door 4.0L V6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I find towing capacity for my 1996 Explorer 4WD Eddie Bauer 4-door 4.0L V6?

How do I find towing capacity for my 1996 Explorer 4WD Eddie Bauer 4-door 4.0L V6? (VIN: 1fmdu34x4tza70403)? Anyone know how to figure that?

The original Owner Guide (that came with vehicle) has a rear axle code chart that does NOT include the rear axle code ("42") that the vehicle has listed on it's door frame label.

IF my research is correct about that axle code 42, then I have a Rear Axle Ratio of 4.10, but THAT ratio is not in the Owner Guide's list of Rear Axle Ratios in the Trailer Towing Table.

So, my Explorer's Owner Guide does not have complete info about my Explorer that it came with. How could that have happened?!

What to do, to find the towing capacity? Anybody know?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be listed here:

It should be listed here:

Thanks for your reply, Traveler.
I don't know about whether or not it should be listed there, but when I read that thread yesterday, I didn't see it listed there.

Well, if we were to assume that you do have the 4.10 gears, and use the 1st available table (the one for the 97) then your truck would be rated at 5600 lbs. Of course there are a lot of assumptions, and ifs in there. Things like a factory tow package, transmission cooler, etc, of course make a difference as well.

I hope your not towing with the bumber they are super weak a added on towing package would be idea I wouldn't risk towing with a 2nd gen ex bumper if my memory is correct uhaul even outlawed renting trailers to ex owners

Well, if we were to assume that you do have the 4.10 gears, and use the 1st available table (the one for the 97) then your truck would be rated at 5600 lbs. Of course there are a lot of assumptions, and ifs in there. Things like a factory tow package, transmission cooler, etc, of course make a difference as well.
Yeah, I wonder how to confirm whether or not I have 4.10 gears.
And I wonder how to determine whether or not the 1997 (or 98 or 99, etc) table/info applies to the 1996 model.

I hope your not towing with the bumber they are super weak a added on towing package would be idea I wouldn't risk towing with a 2nd gen ex bumper if my memory is correct uhaul even outlawed renting trailers to ex owners
Thanks, Bjl8691.

My factory install bumper hitch is rated to 3,000 lbs, but I wonder what the vehicle's towing capacity is, in case I want to get a receiver hitch to tow more than 3,000 lbs.

What's a "2nd gen ex bumper"? Is that the kind of bumper I have?

I can confirm - Uhaul does not rent trailers to be hauled by 1996 Ford Explorers - even with a stronger receiver hitch installed.

Thanks, Bjl8691.

My factory install bumper hitch is rated to 3,000 lbs, but I wonder what the vehicle's towing capacity is, in case I want to get a receiver hitch to tow more than 3,000 lbs.

What's a "2nd gen ex bumper"? Is that the kind of bumper I have?

I can confirm - Uhaul does not rent trailers to be hauled by 1996 Ford Explorers - even with a stronger receiver hitch installed.
95-01 is 2nd generation ex is explorer it's jargon alot of us use on this forum
I'm not sure what the capacity is i would assume it's not over 5,000lbs I'm sure somebody will chime in I personally don't ever tow but If I did i wouldn't be using the bumper an add on reciever hitch is for sure a must

95-01 is 2nd generation ex is explorer it's jargon alot of us use on this forum
I'm not sure what the capacity is i would assume it's not over 5,000lbs I'm sure somebody will chime in I personally don't ever tow but If I did i wouldn't be using the bumper an add on reciever hitch is for sure a must
Got it - thanks!
I towed 1,000lbs 600 miles with factory-installed bumper hitch (rated to 3,000lbs), no problem.
What is the maximum weight you'd tow with that 3,000lb factory-installed bumper hitch?

Back