How do i get my new toy in 4x4 manually | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i get my new toy in 4x4 manually

Jokergerm

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4 linked Explorer
I just bought this monster explorer, the 4x4 button does not work. I looked underneath

it does not appear to be vaccum accuated

The t case just has a bunch of wires going to what looks like a wiper motor, but is not a wiper motor.

all i want is it to get in to 4lo for now. its a trailer rig

and i take off that accuator and manually put it in 4lo or rig like a cable system.

thanks guys

its a 91 with a 5 speed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take off the shifter motor, grab some pliers, and manually turn the stud to the 4Lo position. a new motor isnt that bad. theres a rebuild thread for the shifter motor on this site if you search for it.

Thanks i did that and it worked great

then i crawled up my rock wall and broke my coil overs

Check out the A Guide to troubleshooting 4x4 problems. thread for a quick diagnosis. In all likelihood the shift motor repair thread is where you problem lies.

In the mean time you can remove the shift motor to access the T-Case selector shaft pictured below. You can use pliers/vice grips to rotate the shaft and it will have a positive feel/indent when you reach each setting (2H,4H,4L). In order to shift into 4L the transmission must 1st be in neutral..

27133Tcase02.jpg

Off topic but :ttiwwp:

Haha any pictures of the beast?

I bet that thing has crazy bump steer...

Ya you have no idea

It needs a stabilizer really really badly

No it needs hydro steer or a suspension redesign. 4 links and traditional steering to not mix, the steering moves in an arc and the axle doesn't. It needs a 3 link/radius arm suspension with a panhard bar.
You can see on this suspension the panhard bar is at the same angle as the steering so when the suspension moves the steering follows the same arc.
IMG_1600.jpg

A 4 link needs hydro steering because everything is located on the axle and isn't affected by movement.
100_3120.jpg

ah ok I was about to say you don't have coilovers then I saw the pics.

Back