How do I get the trunk/cargo light to turn on with the overhead console in the front? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I get the trunk/cargo light to turn on with the overhead console in the front?

craigw

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
I was wondering if anybody has found a way to get the cargo light in the rear of the truck to turn on whenever you open doors, unlock the truck, etc. Right now it only turns on if you flip the switches on the light itself. I would really like the extra light inside the truck without having to manually turn it on and off. I was also planning on swapping out the standards bulbs with LEDS if anyone had any tips on that. This is on a 2002 sport 2 door btw.

The circled light is the one I am talking about. You can see the overhead console light turns on when I open the trunk, but the rear cargo light does not. The bulbs do work and are not burnt out.

2016-04-18%2016.02.05_zpscxkfzsfj.jpg

If this has been answered in another thread for the 2002 sport 2 door then just post a link and I'll be on my way, but I did not find anything after a quick search.
Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The center light in that assembly should come on whenever a door is open, or whenever you activate the interior lights by turning the dimmer all the way up (past the detent).

Are you sure the bulb is good? Note, it has three bulbs. Left & right ones turn on/off with the switches, the center one turns on w/ the 'door open' lights.

The center light in that assembly should come on whenever a door is open, or whenever you activate the interior lights by turning the dimmer all the way up (past the detent).

Are you sure the bulb is good? Note, it has three bulbs. Left & right ones turn on/off with the switches, the center one turns on w/ the 'door open' lights.

Wow. I feel like a dummy. I had no idea there was 3 bulbs in the back. I guess the center one has never worked and I was under the impression there was only 2 bulbs. I should have just taken the cover off first haha I think it says it's a 906 bulb in the manual so I guess all I need is a replacement. Thanks for clearing that up!

No problem.

Does your '02 Sport not have the small light just inside the rear hatch? Odd... Ford seemed to like changing up the interior lighting on a regular basis.

My '96 Sport had no overhead console up front, the light you have in the back was between the font seats on mine, and there was a small rectangular light all the way in the rear.

My XLT (as I assume pretty much all 4-doors do) has all three.

EDIT to add:
These LEDs will fit. They are what I used for that light in my Ex.
http://www.amazon.com/Sucool-Xenon-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

No problem.

Does your '02 Sport not have the small light just inside the rear hatch? Odd... Ford seemed to like changing up the interior lighting on a regular basis.

My '96 Sport had no overhead console up front, the light you have in the back was between the font seats on mine, and there was a small rectangular light all the way in the rear.

My XLT (as I assume pretty much all 4-doors do) has all three.

EDIT to add:
These LEDs will fit. They are what I used for that light in my Ex.
http://www.amazon.com/Sucool-Xenon-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The lighting in your 96 sport sounds really similar to my brothers 2001 sport, but mine is way different, and not bright at all haha I ordered some LED discs for the front overhead console so I can get some light in there, but I must say, replacing the bulb in the cargo lamp with an LED I had laying around sure made a difference.

I'm still looking for LEDs for the front overhead. Can you tell me what you used?

Back