How do I install after market Vacuum gauge? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I install after market Vacuum gauge?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I found out that having a vacuum gauge can be really helpful in understanding whats going on with my engine. So I went and bought a 2" back lit Vac gauge.

Now I am wondering where to hook up the vac line "Exactly" on the engine, how to feed the vac line into the cab, and where to mount the gauge itself.

I did a search, and did not find what I was looking for. Has any one done this?
I am positive people have! Some pics of where and how it has been mounted would be great! I don't want to add a bunch of other gauges, just this single vacuum is well enough for me!

The install will be done on my '95 EX, 4.0, OHV. Thanks to any one with some input!

Find a vacuum fitting off the manifold that is a constant vacuum source. You could also T into the brake booster line.

You might consider a gauge pod that mounts on the A pillar.

Like above ^^^ any constant vacuum line will give a good reading of overall engine vacuum. Very simple mod, and great for economy driving and trouble shooting. Higher the vacuum reading, better the economy. Drops to zero during wide open throttle (which was the trick used by the factory cold air intakes of the late 60s and 70s -- under full throttle, the spring loaded doors would pop open).

Back