How do i keep my exhaust tip clean and non-rusty? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i keep my exhaust tip clean and non-rusty?

NICE59FORDF100

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
hi yall. i got me a catback magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust system, with a rear exit chrome tip. thing is, its starting to rust in spots from only a couple months. what tips (no pun intended) do yall recommed to keeping it nice, and clean, and pretty much rust free? it looks really really good when its cleaned up, but i want it to stay that way. thanks yall!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe lightly sand it and put some clearcoat on it?

NICE59FORDF100 said:
hi yall. i got me a catback magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust system, with a rear exit chrome tip. thing is, its starting to rust in spots from only a couple months. what tips (no pun intended) do yall recommed to keeping it nice, and clean, and pretty much rust free? it looks really really good when its cleaned up, but i want it to stay that way. thanks yall!

clean it constantly, like every 3 or 4 days, or go the better route and get a stainless tip.

GaSouthern1 said:
clean it constantly, like every 3 or 4 days, or go the better route and get a stainless tip.

I agree, when i got my dual exhaust done, i paid the extra for the Stainless tips, jsut so they woudlnt rust, i seen how crappy looking the chrome ones are when they start to rust.... It might have been a waste since im bout to cut them off prolly but it was a smart decsion at the time.....

Get the bug and tar remover in the blue and white can, that'll take off light surface rust and will clean up tarnish. Then get a chrome polish. But you will have to do this all the time. After winter it's all over and you'll just have to try and keep it clean from then on.

get stainless.... the chrom look ones suck, and chrome does rust...

jimabena74 said:
get stainless.... the chrom look ones suck, and chrome does rust...
I ure a product called neverdull.
It comes in a can and is like cotton (kind of hard to explain) but it works great.
I have been using it on my vehicles for over 10 yrs now.

Back