How do I put in some Lift to my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I put in some Lift to my Explorer

nlastinger

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD and I really want to put lift to it but do not want to spend a lot of money...I think I know the stuff I should put on it but I am not for sure can someone tell me if I am right?

I am thinking of putting Add-a-leafs in the rear(I think I put it on the top of the bottom leaf I think). and putting coil spring spacers in the front but not the round ones.. i was thinking about putting the ones that actually go in between the middle of the coil spring.

do I need to get it realigned afterwards?

PLEASE HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried using the search button? There is a ton of people on here with lifted trucks that have step by step hoe toos with pics.

welcome to the forum!

Your to do list:

1. Properly identify your vehicle and it's components. In your case, the type of suspension.

2. use the search function. you'll be amazed with what you can learn with a few simple key words.

Good learning!

I would skip the add a leaf and get some warrior shackles for the rear. The front doesnt have coil springs, but has torision bars that just need some tightening to lift the front. You will want to get a wheel alignment afterwards. Also, Welcome!

thats XLT that helps alot more. I will look into that!

for the torsion bar if I need a longer bolt does anyone know where i can get it

for the torsion bar if I need a longer bolt does anyone know where i can get it

Fastenal or grainger are the two places i would check.

Back