How do i remove pressure from the fuel lines on the fuel pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i remove pressure from the fuel lines on the fuel pump?

GunnerSchenck

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer EB
hi, dropped the gas tank to work on the fuel pump and can't get off the lines, how should i relieve the pressure? i've been told it had something to do with the kick panel?

The fuel pressure goes down to nothing after the engine cools down. It's best not to disconnect the fuel lines unless the engine is cold. After that, they are safe to disconnect, but some fuel will still leak out, just not pressurized spray.

You need a fuel line disconnect tool to get the lines off. Each line takes a different size, so you need to be sure you are using the right ones.

It can be tough to get the tool in the quick connector far enough to disengage the prongs holding the line on. Keep at it and just apply firm pressure, but don't force it.

A common and easy way to be sure all the pressure is out of the fuel system is to unplug the fuel pump fuse, then try to start the engine.

A common and easy way to be sure all the pressure is out of the fuel system is to unplug the fuel pump fuse, then try to start the engine.

This is how I did it. Works like a charm.

What you may be referring to as the kick panel method is the inertia switch that shuts off the fuel pump in case of an accident. But, honestly, pulling the fuel pump fuse is easier.

Back