How do I remove the antenna from 2002 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove the antenna from 2002 Sport Trac

durtkillon

Reaction score
City, State
Corrales, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I just got an XM reciever and it came with a fancy FM transmitter that you mount on the antenna, but it requires that I remove the antenna to install it. I took off the mud guard for the tire, but I can't see how the antenna is held in place. Anybody know how to remove the antenna?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just unscrew it!:D

I'm referring to the base of the antenna (the part that has the cable running to the radio). Usually you have to unscrew a nut from inside the fender on most cars. Are you suggesting I unscrew the base from the underside? There is no nut, or bracket that I can see.

Last edited:

Most of those FM transmitters can mount in-line on the antenna cable and usually fit behind the radio in the dash. You unplug the antenna from the back of the radio, plug the cable into the fm transmitter and the other end back into the radio.. I've used similar fm transmitters with cd-changers.

If you want to remove the entire antenna from the vehicle, you seriously just unscrew it. Remove the antenna, then pop the black cover off and remove the 3 screws holding it to the fender.

Hope this helps,
Chad

Most of those FM transmitters can mount in-line on the antenna cable and usually fit behind the radio in the dash. You unplug the antenna from the back of the radio, plug the cable into the fm transmitter and the other end back into the radio.. I've used similar fm transmitters with cd-changers.

Mine came equipped with something called XM SureConnect. It is an FM transmitter that mounts on your antenna. It's supposed to improve the signal and be less suceptable to interference. It was also free with my car kit, so I figured I'd use it rather than purchase an "inline" FM modulator. It seems to work.

If you want to remove the entire antenna from the vehicle, you seriously just unscrew it. Remove the antenna, then pop the black cover off and remove the 3 screws holding it to the fender.

Hope this helps,
Chad

I got it. Thank you.

I tried prying that cap off, but it was getting dinged up and not coming off. Not wanting to break it, I thought it would be better to ask. I'm glad I did.

That said, Ford uses too much snap on plastic crap. The exploder is a fairly reliable vehicle, but man they cut corners with the milk jug body and interior parts. My antenna base is a little dinged up, but it's a small price to pay for good tunes. Thanks again, Chad.

no problem glad I could help.

Chad

Dude that cap is a B***h! I started lightly prying up on this cap with a flathead as carefully as possible and it's hard to even get the tip to pry in... It is THAT tight! BTW I would like to let everyone know - YOU PRY OFF THE BLACK AREA OF THE CAP AND NOT THE GRAY AREA UNDER THE BLACK SINCE THAT IS SCREWED DOWN! Not one person on the net tells u how to get that damn cap off. I'm sorry but just " pop" or "snap" it off means crap to me. Need better details!

Anyway I couldn't pop it off with a flat head and resorted to breaking it off with my vice grip... Now I have to buy a replacement black cap bc FORD is cheap and uses plastic garbage on all their vehicles.

THERE SHOULD BE A STICKY ON REMOVING THIS CAP/Attenna.

If you use a really small flathead (like a watch/glasses screwdriver) it pries up no problem

Back