How do I remove the grill? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove the grill?

I have a '99 XLT and I want to remove the grill assembly to paint it; how does it come off?

Thanks.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few screws on top (2 I think), and I think 2 or 3 spring clip kinda things on the bottom (in the middle section, above the bumper), then there's a screw behind each corner marker lamp. I did it to mine (painted it). Got the paint mixed and sprayed it my self. Not to bad for a first time job. A few runs, but they're hidden. good luck!

Originally posted by jwrezz
A few screws on top (2 I think), and I think 2 or 3 spring clip kinda things on the bottom (in the middle section, above the bumper), then there's a screw behind each corner marker lamp. I did it to mine (painted it). Got the paint mixed and sprayed it my self. Not to bad for a first time job. A few runs, but they're hidden. good luck!

Its a bit different on my '99.

I found a good site with the removal instructions - http://www.grillcraft.com/installs/installs.asp?action=view&install=24 = and it worked. The grill is out and ready for paint prep.

Grill removal is the same 95-00.

I did my grille a few months ago. I was about to post the step-by-step process of removing the grille, but the instructions on the grillecraft site nailed it and saved me some typing. I wish that I knew about that site when I did mine, it would have saved some time.

What about opening the hood...

Before I get a Billet Grill on my 96 XLT, how are you guys opening the hood?

Ah yes, probably the most asked question about billet grilles for 95-97s. I simply carry a screwdriver in my glovebox so I can stick it in between the bars of the grille and unlatch the hood. Some covert their latch to a 98+ style, but I didn't feel that was neccessary.

Chop Sticks! Its actually easy to open the hood now. I got it down... :D Stick and lift.

Thanks. Once installed I will try both. Gotta first go out and get some Chinese food though!

..and I'm gone!

Re: What about opening the hood...

Originally posted by NYCKid
how are you guys opening the hood?

Bend a metal wire or hanger or something like that to form a hook, and hook it around the top of the hood latch. When you open the hood from inside the Ex, it should pop up an inch or whatever. Reach in that inch, grab the metal wire, and pull so that the latch opens. That's what I've done, it works really well.

Back