• Register Today It's free!

How do i replace a headgasket?

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Its pronounced (Priz-biz)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I was wondering if i could possibly replace a bad headgasket myself. The truck isnt worth much to us so i guess it doesnt matter too much if i mess it up.

Its a 94' limited ford explorer.

Does anyone have any links or can someone take the time to explain?

Thanks so much :):roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was starting out I liked having a Chilton's or Haynes manual in hand before starting a big project like this. Read through it get familiar with the procedure and if you think you're up for it, go for it:D

It's not too hard, just time consuming.

Hmm... I think I'm going to give it a shot :) Bring ol' whitey back to life.

But where do i get these manuals?

Amazon.com is a good place.

Could you possibly post a link for the manual there? I honestly dont have any idea what kind of manual I'm looking for.

I would greatly appreciate it!

Here's an idea....

Walk into your local parts store, and tell them you would like to buy a Chilton's or Haynes Manual for your Explorer. And they will show you the book. Then you will buy it.

...I know, it's a crazy idea. It may not even work for you. But I know that it has worked for me in the past.

Ryan

No need for the sarcasm.

I wanted to buy one online because its usually cheaper that way.

Here's an idea....

Walk into your local parts store, and tell them you would like to buy a Chilton's or Haynes Manual for your Explorer. And they will show you the book. Then you will buy it.

...I know, it's a crazy idea. It may not even work for you. But I know that it has worked for me in the past.

Ryan

Spd shoots.... (a hushed crowd watches) HE SCORES!!! (crowd goes wild!)

Thanks for all your precious comments. They remind me of my first forum experiences.

Well done. Well done. *Claps loudly*

Hehe, check my edit :)

Okay. So I just went to Amazon.com....I just typed 'Ford Explorer' in the search bar. Keep it simple. Too much information can confuse the search engine. I didn't even bother to tell it I was only looking for a book. I let it search "All Categories".

Upon hitting the Search Button, I was given a few 4 pages of hits.

On the first page #5, #8, and # 16 were all the same Haynes Repair Manual with different prices ranging from $6.99 to $23.00.

On Page 2 #23 is a Chiltons' Manual, priced from $3.43 to $19.77 at the bottom of the page is another link to the same Haynes Repair Manuak priced from $5.00.

I gotta be honest here....If you couldn't figure that on your own, even AFTER you were told WHERE to look....you can't do a Headgasket on your own. Not Possible.

Ryan

my advice: clean your garage very well, with lots of work space to lay out the parts you take off. keep you're digital camera handy to take pictures as you go (so you dont get confused where things go when you put it back together) take lots of pictures as you disassemble stuff. put all the parts in paper grocery bags, mark the bags (valve covers, valve cover bolts, push rods, etc in a bag, mark it) just keep disassembling stuff carefully until you have the heads off. those books are more confusing than they are good in my opinion (at least to me, i'm a hands on kind of guy) the key is to have a clean shop, no distractions, and push to get it done as quickly as possible, the longer the project drags on (over a few days) the more you'll start forgetting where parts go, loosing stuff etc. you can also use masking tape to make tags on wires, hoses etc and write on them with a sharpie to help you remember.

you're order of disassembly should go something like this:

1: remove air box, and related components
2: remove radiator and related components (belts etc)
3: remove upper intake,
4: remove valve covers etc
5: disconnect fuel lines, wiring harnesses etc and remove lower intake
6: unbolt heads, remove them. take the heads to machine shop to have checked for cracks, and resurface or replace heads. you will need new head bolts too

that's it in a nutshell. of course there are other parts and procedures i did not list in that quick liist off the top of my heads (alternator, and other accy's have to be removed at some point etc) and be sure to torque the heads properly (google torque specs, order, and stepping instructions) it's really not a hard job just takes attention to detail and patience etc. you will need a large (at least t55 i think) torx socket for the head bolts.

it'll run great when you're done. especially if you install new heads :)

$

You want to get a book on amazon in hopes of saving a couple bucks. You say the truck is old and you don't care about it, fair enough.

The thing here we need to consider is cost of parts. The head gaskets aren't cheap and neither are any of the gaskets and seals you'll need to do it right. You'll need new anitfreeze,oil,a lot of rags solvent,etc. Now if you choose to do it and do it wrong you aren't getting any of that cash back. No it isn't hard but as mentioned it is time consuming. If you don't have the time or patience to find a book online I don't recommend you do this.

The only real way to learn is to get after it and get dirty so if you're prepared to risk loosing the parts money then get to it. With a haynes or chilton book along with SEARCHABLE info available on this site you CAN do it. Just do some research into what it takes and make that decision.

As said, get a manual....

And remember that you cant reuse the head bolts.

i would change the motor you can get the motor for 1994 ford explorer limited any place any time sometime you got to think how much mileage on the original motor if you change head gasket you should change water pump and all the hose if it and how much you want to spend to and have spend time with your explorer when doing head gasket and right tools for right job once change the motor you would not have nomore headache your 94 explorer run like brand new even better than new suv

i would change the motor you can get the motor for 1994 ford explorer limited any place any time sometime you got to think how much mileage on the original motor if you change head gasket you should change water pump and all the hose if it and how much you want to spend to and have spend time with your explorer when doing head gasket and right tools for right job once change the motor you would not have nomore headache your 94 explorer run like brand new even better than new suv

:salute:

I just got done doing a head gasket on a '91 and it's not really that bad. If you don't mind getting dirty and spending some time bending over a motor it can be done. I just did one side because I new what cylinder it was by looking at the spark plugs, I know I should have done both but I was trying to keep cost down. You really need to have the head unit checked for worping. I thought I was going to just unbolt everything and bolt it right back up with a new gasket (did it in 12 hours start to finish non stop) but I had to do it all again and take the head to an engine shop.

Here is what it cost me so far:
'91 Ex w/ blown head gasket - $200.00
Chilton's manual - $26.00
Engine Gasket kit - $89.00
Head Bolts - $18.00 (one side)
Head Unit shaved - $35.00
Oil Change - $14.00
Antifreeze - $8.00

Got it finished last friday and drove it to work today, so for an old Ex that junk yard would only give $100 for I now have a 4x4 to go play in the woods with.

I gotta be honest here....If you couldn't figure that on your own, even AFTER you were told WHERE to look...

I hate to say it, but I have to agree... I gave you the name of the books, and told you to go to Amazon.com to get them. What else was there??

Not trying to be mean, but if you couldn't figure out how to find the book after that, I can't see you being able to put your motor back together after taking the heads off. Sorry, but it's better to be honest with you than see you start the project and give up, or make your problem worse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to say it, but I have to agree... I gave you the name of the books, and told you to go to Amazon.com to get them. What else was there??

Not trying to be mean, but if you couldn't figure out how to find the book after that, I can't see you being able to put your motor back together after taking the heads off. Sorry, but it's better to be honest with you than see you start the project and give up, or make your problem worse.

I havent worked on engines before, I work on the lighting and electrical work. I simply asked for a specific and yet so many try to insult me about it. This is the forum to ASK for help, am i not correct?

Therefore: I have not ever bought a repair manual for these type of things. Not knowing that I didnt know if i was supposed to look up a headgasket repair manual or for a whole truck manual I asked if you could shoot me a link for one.

Sorry if this is sounding mean, but I'm trying to be honest too.

Back