• Register Today It's free!

How do i replace the FPR

RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro north Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer xlt
Hey guys I think I have found the problem with my explorer I pulled the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and welp it has gas in it thinking that's the cause of my rough/surging idle truck runs great at 1k rpm or over, could someone walk me through the steps on how to replace it? Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gas should not be in that side of the fpr diaphram, and is certainly bad. With the handheld vacuum guage I recommended a few months ago, you would be able to check this and each vaccuum operated component & line. Do consider acquiring one.

Consider borrowing a fuel pressure test kit ( they are free w deposit at a autozone, oreilly, etc) and test the system before you replace the FPR . As you may have found the cause of your idle issue, it will be helpful to know what your fuel pressure looks like with a defective fuel rail component before and after it is replaced.

As for removingthe fpr, there is a valve just next to it. Can use that to relieve any pressure, but if fpr is bad likely not necessary. You already removed the vacuum line. Next remove the return line (the steel braided hose connected to the top) then unbolt the 2 bolts that secure it to the rail. Slowly wiggle it off. Make sure an O-ring comes out with the regulator.

also:
I had the fuel pressure tested at a shop that I trust
↑↑↑ Might want to reassess that.

Gas should not be in that side of the fpr diaphram, and is certainly bad. With the handheld vacuum guage I recommended a few months ago, you would be able to check this and each vaccuum operated component & line. Do consider acquiring one.

Consider borrowing a fuel pressure test kit ( they are free w deposit at a autozone, oreilly, etc) and test the system before you replace the FPR . As you may have found the cause of your idle issue, it will be helpful to know what your fuel pressure looks like with a defective fuel rail component before and after it is replaced.

As for removingthe fpr, there is a valve just next to it. Can use that to relieve any pressure, but if fpr is bad likely not necessary. You already removed the vacuum line. Next remove the return line (the steel braided hose connected to the top) then unbolt the 2 bolts that secure it to the rail. Slowly wiggle it off. Make sure an O-ring comes out with the regulator.

also:

↑↑↑ Might want to reassess that.
Just replaced it old one was full of transmission fluid the idle has improved alot!! Still not exactly great but it's a lot better I'll definitely be getting a fuel pressure gauge and testing things myself from now on

Hang on...

Transmission fluid in the FPR?

You found transmission fluid, gasoline, or both in the old FPR on the vacuum side? Did you perform any fuel pressure testing?
Vacuum reservoir canister, brake booster, cruise control may have trans fluid in them.

You found transmission fluid, gasoline, or both in the old FPR on the vacuum side? Did you perform any fuel pressure testing?
Vacuum reservoir canister, brake booster, cruise control may have trans fluid in them.
I agree

They all more than likely do I have no clue on how long the truck was run that way I don't have a fuel pressure gauge unfortunately plan on buying one soon I read on here about the IAT sensor on the plenum I unplugged it with the engine running actually almost smoothed out completely with it unplugged I'm thinking that could be the problem it runs ok no more surging but the engine still shakes a tad bit and the rpms do a slight dance dose anyone know where I can purchase a New IAT sensor? Looked on rock auto and couldn't find it

Stop throwing parts at this based on guesses.

Complete sentences also make it much easier to understand exactly what you've done.

Both had gas and transmission fluid
I found transmission fluid and gasoline inside of the FPR and vacuum line

Back