How do I tell what kind of diff gears I have and what parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I tell what kind of diff gears I have and what parts

Izera

Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming County NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am getting ready to replace my rear pinion on my 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 and am not sure what gears I have. How do I tell if they are 8.8 which is what I think I have. I have found some kits on the internet. These are leak only problems and at this time I would like to get them taken care of. I will be replacing a rear wheel bearing and three lower ball joints and the front two ball joints and a boot on the driver side of the Explorer.

Also anyone know of a good cheap kit for the rear diff. I also have leaking from my where my front driveshaft enters the front differential and it leaks where the right axle slides into the differential.

Once again any kits out there for that or what parts do I need.

I know enough about mechanics to get the job done with a few mistakes here and there. That is why I am asking for parts etc. I hate buying parts that I do not need or worse yet not enough and have to wait for them to be shipped out. This way with all the information in this forum there won't hopefully be any mistakes...

1. So for the rear differential what parts will I need (or kit):

2. What parts for the front where the driveshaft goes into the front differential where the two front drive shafts meet up or is that the transmission? What parts or is there a kit for that as well?

3. What parts of kit will I need for the front right side drive shaft that slides in and out for the four wheel drive to stop that from leaking?

I am replacing all ball joints and a wheel bearing on it and I figured that I would take care of these other problems while I have this all apart.

I appreciate the help. I bought this 2002 Explorer and it has been a great vehicle that I feel good about my wife driving due to its dependability. I would like to keep it that way and this forum has helped me do that. For that I thanks all the members for their hard work keeping it going.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You cannot replace ONLY the pinion gear. It is part of a matched set with the mating ring gear. If you mean you intend to change the GEAR RATIO, then BOTH the pinion and ring gear must be replaced. Further, if you CHANGE gear ratio, you must also change the FRONT DIFFERENTIAL to the SAME ratio, to boot, if it is 4X4.

The terminology "8.8" is a means of calling out the make and model of the axle assembly, 8.8 referring to the DIAMETER of the ring gear. Thus, duh, a Ford 9-inch has a 9" ring gear.

8.8 is a stout rear axle, and if you start messing with it, you may wind up in a heap of unexpected ****. imp

I'm trying to find out what part number I need to replace a leaking rear pinion seal, Not replace the whole differential. The rear seal leaks and the front seal leaks along with drops of oil coming out of the shaft that goes to the front right tire. I basically was trying to figure out if it mattered as far as all Explorers having the same differentials or not and hoping that someone would say to themselves "hey I had to replace that part" and give me the part number of the one they purchased. I'm just trying to stop three leaks in my Ex and I figured that while I have it all apart to replace the ball joints, it would be a good time to do the seals.

I'm trying to find out what part number I need to replace a leaking rear pinion seal, Not replace the whole differential. The rear seal leaks and the front seal leaks along with drops of oil coming out of the shaft that goes to the front right tire. I basically was trying to figure out if it mattered as far as all Explorers having the same differentials or not and hoping that someone would say to themselves "hey I had to replace that part" and give me the part number of the one they purchased. I'm just trying to stop three leaks in my Ex and I figured that while I have it all apart to replace the ball joints, it would be a good time to do the seals.

Ball joint replacement is in a "different ballpark" from pinion seals (especially), and axle shaft seals. Regarding "part numbers", each aftermarket supplier of parts has it's own unique numbering system, thus, it is not applicable to say, the pinion seal part number is...."xxxxx". imp

I am getting ready to replace my rear pinion on my 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 and am not sure what gears I have.

Take a look at the links provided below. In the first link, look at post/pic #7, it shows you where to find your "rear diff gear code" on your drivers door tag.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251965

In the next link below, take the "rear diff gear code" you found on your vehicles driver door tag and look at post/pic #1. Match your rear diff gear code to the corresponding gear sizes and this is the size of the gears in your Explorers rear diff.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239360

Codes with just 2 numbers are "Open Diff's" and do not need "friction modifier" added to them, but codes with a letter followed by a single number are "limited slip diff's" and do need to have friction modifier added to them when changing gear oil. Ford calls for 4 ounces of "friction modifier" to be added to a Limited Slip Diff, but most people I've read about just dump the whole 7 ounce tube into the rear diff.

Back