How do I update the IPC firmware in a 2016 explorer platinum? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I update the IPC firmware in a 2016 explorer platinum?

peoriapc

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Platin
I just purchased a 2016 explorer platinum and I'm interested in updating the IPC firmware to a 2018 platinum so I can have the speed in the center area. Can someone please point me in the right direction. I've been told Forscan won't do it (which I ordered to upgrade to sync 3.4). I would love to know where to find the items I will need and is the process much harder than reprogramming with forscan. Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, I had the digital speed readout in the centre of my 2017 Platinum. If you can't do it with FORDScan, perhaps it's not doable.
Thank you for taking out the Elite Explorer membership to support the Forum.:thumbsup:

Peter

It can be updated with Ford IDS by a dealer(though not to 2017 or 2018 firmware and center speedometer) or flashed with UCDS(aftermarket) but there is some risk with doing this yourself. Be aware that if you make a mistake you can end up with a dead cluster. 2016 Platinums can be flashed with the 2018 software and this will also add the center digital speedometer. There are some other small improvements like thinner gauges. Do NOT use FORScan for flashing modules as special hardware is required.

On my Explorer spreadsheet below you can find the firmware file names under the IPC Type 3 tab but I'll also list them below. I've been using the firmware listed below for about two years with no issues at all. In UCDS, the files must be flashed in the order below and HS3 network must be selected. The process takes around 20 minutes so be sure that the laptop you are using is plugged in as a loss of power could kill the module.

I purchased UCDS directly from this store on eBay with the extended license. UCDS (UCDSYS) FORD diagnostic tool (with EXTENDED licence) | eBay

18MY Explorer (US)EJ7T-14C025-AAHS3Secondary Bootloader
JB5T-14C026-EBHS3May 3, 2018Latest Build for 2018MY vehicles (Works on 2016MY & 2017MY unofficially) - Fixes issue with hill assist error in earlier build
JB5T-14C026-FBHS3May 3, 2018
JB5T-14C088-EBHS3May 3, 2018
JB5T-14C088-FBHS3May 3, 2018

Back