How do you distribute your X-mas gifts to your kids??? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

How do you distribute your X-mas gifts to your kids???

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
During this past X-mas I noticed something in my wife's family (only the 3rd X-mas).

There is a total of 5 siblings, my wife and four brothers.

Son #1 got $1,000 check. Age 23

Sone #2 got $600 in gifts. Age 24

Son #3 got $600 in gifts. Age 25

Son #4 in military so I don't know what he got.

My wife (I'll withhold her age) received a $300 check, and they gave me $100, for a total to us of $400.

I am not complaining that I only got $100, in fact I am very appreciatve, because I wasn't expecting anything from them at all. However, shouldn't they have been more fair about the amounts they gave to each of THEIR children. This is somewhat of an ongoing pattern with her parents.

In addition I have been told that they have setup a will/estate plan so that son #1 gets everything. Simply for the mere fact that they think he will end up alone with no wife/kids.

Am I wrong here, or does everyone do this? Or am I just being a winey b#$ch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97BlackX5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Scipio, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 X XLT AWD
maybe they just figured that shes married and being taken care of... and that the youngest son probably wont have that luxury... dont know... i personally dont think the will should be set up like that but hey its up to them... maybe sones 2,3 and 4 and your wife did something or didnt do something to them.... do they do other things for her that they dont do for her brothers....

JGAMBLE

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Wainwright, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994xlt
while I agree that it's not right, it is their money to do with as they please. I hope my parents die broke, I'm the excutor of the will. I figure if I didn't earn it I have no right to complain.

:chug: :chug:

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
JGAMBLE said:
while I agree that it's not right, it is their money to do with as they please. I hope my parents die broke, I'm the excutor of the will. I figure if I didn't earn it I have no right to complain.

:chug: :chug:

Agreed.

I am just big on being fair and equal. Ecspecially when it comes to gifts in the family. I give each of my sisters the same amount on X-MAS and if I do one for one, I do the very same thing or very similar for the other, whether it is a favor, loan, money, etc.

That way, they feel equally loved.

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
97BlackX5.0 said:
maybe they just figured that shes married and being taken care of... and that the youngest son probably wont have that luxury... dont know... i personally dont think the will should be set up like that but hey its up to them... maybe sones 2,3 and 4 and your wife did something or didnt do something to them.... do they do other things for her that they dont do for her brothers....

We, my wife and I, do the most for them. I don't expecet anything in return for it at all though.

No, they don't do anything else special for my wife, in fact they do more for her siblings every other day of the year as well. Could be a culture thing as they are Filipino. The mexican culture is similar, where a boy seems to have more value.

Just wanted to hear others opinion on the matter.

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
I highly doubt its a culture thing. As a matter of fact I know it is not. But I tell you what, they are very very generous. My side of the family does the same thing on a lesser extent except me and my wife do not get cash or checks. Bummer, huh? ;)