• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

How do you find a website's IP address?

AdamsGuitar

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Eddie Bauer
Aaah, so we get to the real question :D

You will need to first contact the host for the www.name2.com website and ask them to do it, basically. They will most likely ask you either to change the name servers for www.name1.com, or make ask you to just verify the change that they make. Unless, of course, the same host owns both, in which case they should be able to take care of it all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
The best way to do it is on www.name1.com have an index.htm page like this:

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.name2.com/name3">

In that way when a user goes to www.name1.com they will be redirected to www.name2.com/name3.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
AdamsGuitar said:
Aaah, so we get to the real question :D

You will need to first contact the host for the www.name2.com website and ask them to do it, basically. They will most likely ask you either to change the name servers for www.name1.com, or make ask you to just verify the change that they make. Unless, of course, the same host owns both, in which case they should be able to take care of it all!
I contacted them and got some techno type who talked way over this country boys head... all I got out of it was they wanted to know the IP address of the location ( www.name1.com/name2 ) that I wanted it pointed to. Thats why I asked in the first post how do I find that IP address?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
That is why I suggest the index.htm page because it does not involve any dns changes and allows you to still use sub directories of the original site if you want to.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Howard said:
The best way to do it is on www.name1.com have an index.htm page like this:

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.name2.com/name3">

In that way when a user goes to www.name1.com they will be redirected to www.name2.com/name3.

The domain that I wanted pointed to my website is owned by someone else ( my son ). I am doing this so he does not have to pay for web space since I have more than enoigh. His domain is a name only it does not reside anywhere yet.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
In that case he needs to contact the people that he registered the site with and supply the ip address of your site (which you should be able to get using any of the methods mentioned).

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Howard said:
In that case he needs to contact the people that he registered the site with and supply the ip address of your site (which you should be able to get using any of the methods mentioned).
Thats what I want to do but do not know how to get the IP. Can I send you a PM and get you to find the IP for me?

Thanks....

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
Howard said:
That is why I suggest the index.htm page because it does not involve any dns changes and allows you to still use sub directories of the original site if you want to.
OK, I'm not only a slow reader, but poster as well...LOL...

jester6

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona desert
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
the other way is too look up the a record on the domain.

http://dnsstuff.com/

put in the domain in the "dns lookup" box", "A" should already be in the drop down menu then hit lookup.

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
Or nslookup in dos prompt.

And in general it is better to send the redirect information in the headers of the page using some scripting language like PHP.... that way browsers don't even waste time downloading the page.