How do you open up Headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you open up Headlights?

I am trying to do a HID projector retrofit and have a set of Diamond Clear Housings. How do you remove the clear plastic lenses from the housing to get inside?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just got really pissed...spent about 20 mins writing out how to help you and the forum messed it up...worse part is i didnt copy it...man this sux...anyways ill try to rethink what exactly i wrote hmmmm.....i did the retrofit on my 02 X black headlights with the tsx projectors...simple process...all you need it a nice work bench...and a household stove...you have to remove the metal clips on the top and bottom of the headlight that hold the lens to the light itself...my lights have 4 clips...remove all the screws and the plastic brackets that hold the halogen light bulbs...mak sure no metal or loose pieces are on the light before beginning next process...preheat the stove to 375 degrees for about 20 mins...after the 20 min preheat TURN OFF THE STOVE....take a piece of aluminum foil and place the headlight on it and into the stove for 15 mins...after the 15 mins...take out the headlight...be careful as it will be hot...start by prying off carefully the lens from the headlight housing...i myself used a small flat head screw driver to pry off the lens....go around carefully and once the lens starts coming off you can use your hands to take the rest of it off...wear some gloves because it will be hot....as for the second light....preheat the oven for about 15 mins...after the 15 mins MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF the stove and repeat the first step for putting in the second headlight...should sit inside the stove for 15 mins...take it out and do the same process as the first light...the main thing here is after you preheat the oven..make sure you TURN IT OFF...most important thing is that....if you dont and put the light inside...you're definatelly going to ruin the headlight and more important your stove...any questions you can pm me...hope that helps....you can check out hidplanet.com...they sell kits and have a forum with a lot of experts to help you out more...im on my second retro...my first was damaged after i bounced off a divider and broke the whole headlight housing...so in there words im still a newbie on my way :thumbsup: goodluck with it...way better than a rebase bulb hid kit....

ps - thought i would show you my first retro pics...i have one as my avatar...these are bosch e46 single projectors that are used in an audi tt...

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 6,340
  • 0319061451.jpg
    0319061451.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,554
  • 0318061358a.jpg
    0318061358a.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 0318061400.jpg
    0318061400.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,059

yea too bad its in the garbage ...the second one i did thats on my car know i rushed it because i couldnt live with hids anymore...when it gets warmer out gotta customise more....

i just got really pissed...spent about 20 mins writing out how to help you and the forum messed it up...worse part is i didnt copy it...man this sux...anyways ill try to rethink what exactly i wrote hmmmm.....i did the retrofit on my 02 X black headlights with the tsx projectors...simple process...all you need it a nice work bench...and a household stove...you have to remove the metal clips on the top and bottom of the headlight that hold the lens to the light itself...my lights have 4 clips...remove all the screws and the plastic brackets that hold the halogen light bulbs...mak sure no metal or loose pieces are on the light before beginning next process...preheat the stove to 375 degrees for about 20 mins...after the 20 min preheat TURN OFF THE STOVE....take a piece of aluminum foil and place the headlight on it and into the stove for 15 mins...after the 15 mins...take out the headlight...be careful as it will be hot...start by prying off carefully the lens from the headlight housing...i myself used a small flat head screw driver to pry off the lens....go around carefully and once the lens starts coming off you can use your hands to take the rest of it off...wear some gloves because it will be hot....as for the second light....preheat the oven for about 15 mins...after the 15 mins MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF the stove and repeat the first step for putting in the second headlight...should sit inside the stove for 15 mins...take it out and do the same process as the first light...the main thing here is after you preheat the oven..make sure you TURN IT OFF...most important thing is that....if you dont and put the light inside...you're definatelly going to ruin the headlight and more important your stove...any questions you can pm me...hope that helps....you can check out hidplanet.com...they sell kits and have a forum with a lot of experts to help you out more...im on my second retro...my first was damaged after i bounced off a divider and broke the whole headlight housing...so in there words im still a newbie on my way :thumbsup: goodluck with it...way better than a rebase bulb hid kit....

ps - thought i would show you my first retro pics...i have one as my avatar...these are bosch e46 single projectors that are used in an audi tt...

When you pull the lights apart - is that bit that's black on yours come away from the chrome reflector bit, or is it all one piece? Just wondering, as I want to paint mine black, but looks like it's all one piece, in which case the masking off has to be done exact or it will look like an amateur did it - unlike yours which look great.

When you pull the lights apart - is that bit that's black on yours come away from the chrome reflector bit, or is it all one piece? Just wondering, as I want to paint mine black, but looks like it's all one piece, in which case the masking off has to be done exact or it will look like an amateur did it - unlike yours which look great.

the headlights themselves were the black housing that i bought off ebay...the black didn't get peeled or anything while getting heated up...if you do want to paint your original ones black i suggest some high heat spray paint...i bought my cans from home depot...the high heat gets used on radiators or bbq grilles...ill try to take a pic of it and post it up here to show you what can to look for

Back