How do you remove dipstick tube 3rd gen V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you remove dipstick tube 3rd gen V8

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
My 05 V8 Explorer needs a new dipstick tube. I found one at a u-pull it but could not get it.. How do you get it out? I know about the 8mm bolt on the head. Is there another bolt or ???

Thanks

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MMMMM as of 12:37 pm MST. on 10/25/2015 49 people have viewed this thread yet no one can offer any advice.

Gee thanks

Tim

as of 4:00 on 10/27 80 views

ummm dude. If 100 people walk by and no one says anything does that mean they are rude? No.

They just don't know.

Sure maybe 80 people have viewed... Does that mean they are members? No.

How many people replace dipsticks? Not many. If any at all.

I can say, we replaced the dipstick tube when we put a new motor in our suburban. We broke the new one off inside the new motor because it was so flimsy. So we yanked the broken bit and slipped the new on in carefully and it worked. That is all I have to say.

Well back in the day when an engine was an engine they were just pressed in. Yu just carefully moved it around and it came out.

Now today I have no idea. They might have used epoxy to put it in. I have not had to remove one on a new engine. Sorry I could not help you.
Bob T
:usa:

I've been 'ignoring/eyeing' this thread, after viewing it, because I don't know the answer. The one on my '94 4.0 was held in place by a hardened oring. Aside from the one bolt/nut.

people will reply right away if they know.

it looks like the service manual calls for removing the exhaust manifold, not sure why but space is tight on that area. probably because it's curved and yanking it out straight is not possible.

Hmmm...
Last Activity: 10-28-2015 04:51 PM

So after busting balls about no replies, there's now five replies in place by the last time he visited and doesn't even respond to his own thread.

Thanks for the replies. I am heading over to the u-pull it yard next week. I will try and pull the tube on the 3rd gen Mountie. I figure a light touch with some vice grips. Some wd-40 (maybe) and some luck. I won't have to spend dealer prices.

Tim

I wouldn't use pliers of any kind, probably dent/kink the tube. And remember, an Ex with the V8 would be the same.

Back