How do you remove rear-view mirror? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you remove rear-view mirror?

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
Hey guys,

I found a Gentex auto-adjustment mirror in the junkyard a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to install it. However, the factory rear-view mirror doesn't show any simple perceivable way to remove it. Where I would normally see the tightening screw, there seems to be a cap over it. Any idea how to remove this? I didn't really fiddle with it too much, figured I would just ask before I started to pry away at it.

Thanks!!!

Todd

CAUTION: Do not use tools or other objects to pry the mount or interior mirror away from the windshield. Use of tools can damage the interior mirror/mount.

Remove the interior mirror.
Position the interior mirror in the full down position. Grasp the interior mirror and rotate, in a downward and toward the windshield direction, until it is released from the interior mirror windshield bracket.

Just like you're trying to rip it off of the windshield.

HERE is a removal tool that would make ME feel better than ripping it off the glass. Looks like it would be simple to just make one though. Here is a BETTER ILLUSTRATION of the tool.

They tell you to use a SPECIAL TOOL to reinstall it properly but that is cost prohibitive for the one-time user.

CAUTION: Do not use tools or other objects to pry the mount or interior mirror away from the windshield. Use of tools can damage the interior mirror/mount.

Remove the interior mirror.
Position the interior mirror in the full down position. Grasp the interior mirror and rotate, in a downward and toward the windshield direction, until it is released from the interior mirror windshield bracket.

Just like you're trying to rip it off of the windshield.

HERE is a removal tool that would make ME feel better than ripping it off the glass. Looks like it would be simple to just make one though. Here is a BETTER ILLUSTRATION of the tool.

They tell you to use a SPECIAL TOOL to reinstall it properly but that is cost prohibitive for the one-time user.

Thanks Ranchero! I appreciate the information! So basically I slide this between the metal slag that's glued to the window, and between the mirror bracket, and this apparently releases some clips that are holding it on?

So when it's off, that metal slat should still be glued onto the windshield then?

Thanks! I'll order that tool.

Back