How do you replace the dome lights on 2012 Explorer, no sunroof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you replace the dome lights on 2012 Explorer, no sunroof

ISMExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hi!

I was looking to swap out the dome lights on my 2012 Explorer. The front ones seem simple enough, but the two rear dome units are a pain. I was able to pop the module off, but there is no way to gain access to the bulbs inside. They seem to be in a sealed unit with no screws. It seems to be held together with clips but I cant see a way to open it without breaking the module.

has anyone been able to swap out the bulbs in these modules? even the door courtesy lights under the side mirrors are in some sort of sealed unit. I dont have the sunroof option, so i couldnt follow the DIY i saw here to swap out the interior domes for the 2nd and 3rd rows.

Many thanks in advance!

they are not bulbs, they are LEDs w/ a yellow tint to look like regular bulbs. unless you know how to replace an LED on a circuit board you're out of luck. (I've popped it out by unhooking the clips)

oh I didnt know they were already LED, so only the front domes are incandescent. thanks much!

Back