How do you replace the power steering fluid on a 1996 Aerostar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you replace the power steering fluid on a 1996 Aerostar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the Aerostar section. You have two options. Disconnect one of the hoses, and drain fluid or siphon the fluid out of the reservoir of the power steering pump.

Ok, how do I locate the power steering fluid cap on an old 1989 Ford Aerostar XL?

It’s making squealing noises on right and left turns. I bought bottle of power steering fluid but how do I identify which cap on which reservoir to add the fluid?

I ordered a Haynes manual last night, but won’t get it for days and I would like to get the fluid added today to stop the squealing.

Appreciate your help if you know the answer!

it should be on the front dressing of the motor. find the front of your motor (since it may be transverse mount) it usually is there running off the serpent belt

heres a chris fix video on an aerostar

No one said it was an Aerostar. It was to show the procedure, which should be very similar.
i was mistaken, thought chris had an aerostar. its a windstar now that i look closer. this may the the location of the pump, the reservoir is where the arrows point to

Pic_002c.jpg

I guess it does say Aerostar.

The PS fluid usually is very dirty, it never gets changed and there is no filter. It's a great idea to change some of it every few years if you think of it.

Plus when servicing the PS fluid, try to find the Lubegard additive which they make, it's very good to help the seals and the fluid condition.

Plus when servicing the PS fluid, try to find the Lubegard additive which they make, it's very good to help the seals and the fluid condition.
I Suck out The power steering fluid From the reservoir Add new fluid and some Lubegard. 1 fluid oz

You could add a power steering filter to the return hose under the pump. All you need are clamps, a filter, and a short piece of hose.

I was going to install an external filter system in my 99 truck before I decided to retire soon. A large normal oil filter plus a bypass filter would keep the PS fluid very clean, and the extra capacity of near three quarts would cool the fluid a good bit also. I might do that for this truck if I feel ambitious before I sell it to an old coworker.

Clean PS fluid is important, more so for high stress applications like off roading etc. The Lubegard is very high quality stuff, they've been making great additives since the 80's that I know of.

Synthetic fluid is recommended. I installed a power steering cooler in my 1988 van many years ago. It was OEM from the dealer for a Taurus SHO. It's probably one of the smallest coolers out there.

@MimiKatz Don't put it in the 710 cap...

some people install a larger transmission cool
er and use the old one for power steering.

A cooler for the power steering is a good idea. My dad used the turkey baster method and changed the fluid at the same interval as the engine oil. Same with the brake fluid.

Back