How do you tell true amp out put on Alternator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you tell true amp out put on Alternator?

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
So I have a 140 amp Alt on my ex, bought it when the 95 amp took a ****e a couple years back (wish i wouldnt have sold the 200+amp).. Well any way how do you tell the true amp output on the alternator.. Im looking at a possible 250 amp out put, just wanna have my arse covered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can put a large load on it and measure it with an ammeter....

Or you can take the manufacturers word for it.... a 140 amp alternator won't give you 250 amps. What are you using that is going to need that kind of current? You will need to upgrade your battery wiring if you are going to be drawing loads like that.

i agree, 250 amps is a lot of strain on a battery/alternator, depending on what u need it for u might want to look into a decent power inverter. it jsut depends on y u need a 250 amp alt.

just a friend of mine had one that lines up with all our stuff and it was a 250amp out put and he wanted to get rid of it because the ex he has is being parted out... my power wires are umm 0ga wiring... i have the 140 on now and it seems to do just fine, but i figured if i added more lights didnt know what kind of strain it would do on a 140

140 should be fine unless you're doing rock lights, headlights, multiple fogs, roof rack lights, spot lights, aux back up lights, and blasting the radio at low rpms.
Like this http://www.deltatechindustries.com/site/01-9562-7BX
Go ahead and pick up the alt if you want it, but you'll probably never need it

I have a single 10" sub and 1000 watt amp, HID Kit lights, and 2 7" Aux lights on the front, plan on doing 2 small grille lights and a light bar, ill stick with the 140 then

i rather not fry wires, lol. i think my stock one was a 95amp out put and when i bought this one Adv said do you want the alternative 140 so hell yeah for 15 more im gonna take that one, so ill stay away from the 20+ alternator then. thanks.

I run stock wire and a 4g to my alt and neither get hot.i run dual batterys of a 0/0 and i know for a fact it pulls over 200 amps.my 2g for my inverter is rated at 300amps.my stereo pulls close to 250amps alone

i fried my stock wire long time ago, so heavy duty 0 gauge for wiring is what i replaced, thought about doing dual battery, whats the best set up for that

Back